Mixing Amcrest & Lorex POE equipment.

Jimerb

n3wb
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to get the Amcrest 1080P Outdoor PTZ POE IP Camera Pan Tilt Zoom (Model IP2M-853EW) and connect it to my Lorex POE DVR.

Does anyone know if doing this would work? What should I be on the lookout for?

The camera appears to have POE and audio video cameras. My exissting cameras only have ethernet. Should I expect the POE to support audio whichever camera I buy?

DVR: Lorex LHV516410B 4K DVR w/ POE.

Thanks.
HI Jimerb,

Looks like a nice PTZ. ( note - Andy may also have a version of this, so it maybe worth checking to see what he has available )

Check that the NVR can handle: POE+

hmmm... I noted you stated DVR in your description, if so better check - as DVRs typically do not have PoE ports.

Jimerb

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Matt.
The DVR is definately POE. There are no video cables on it. Just ethernet. So if i see a camera like this and it has a video cables and ethernet should i assume that it will work with just ethernet? If I have to plug the video cables in, I won't be able to.

I'm not that savvy on how these things are configured.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Matt.
The DVR is definately POE. There are no video cables on it. Just ethernet. So if i see a camera like this and it has a video cables and ethernet should i assume that it will work with just ethernet? If I have to plug the video cables in, I won't be able to.

I'm not that savvy on how these things are configured.
Hi Jimerb,

This is what I found from the Costco website when I searched for that model number. Is this how your DVR appears on the backside?
upload_2018-6-26_13-15-51.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on the camera at the top of this post working with this recorder?
HI Jimerb,

Check that the NVR can handle: POE+

if the NVR is unable to handle PoE+ you will need a power injector.

Other Lorex rebranded NVRs which are sold by costco have included a Lorex branded Dahua OEM PTZ camera - so I would think it can control a PTZ.

Check if the similar looking lorex PTZ is listed as compatible with that NVR:
2K HD Outoor PTZ IP Camera with 12× Optical Zoom, Color Night Vision, Metal Camera

Jimerb

n3wb
Reaction score
Great Thanks mat.. If there is POE+ does that mean by definition that video is transmitted over the ethernet cable? I have no A/V cables on my recorder.

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The key on the POE is that the NVR has POE ports, not POE+ which is a newer POE standard that allows for much higher current. For anything that is POE+ you will need to use a power injector or separate power supply as the regular POE ports on the NVR (nor on my 16 channel Lorex NVR) can handle the power requirements of that camera. Most all of Amcrest's stuff is also, just like Lorex, OEM Dahua. I just looked at the manual on the Amcrest site and that is a Dahua camera - easy to tell by looking at the web ui. Only thing I've run into is some of the OEM's change the default ports around like 35000 instead of 37777, etc. Easy enough to change on the device directly and then the NVR works with it using the Dahua native protocols.

POE and POE+ have the same capabilities in all aspects except for the voltage and current capabilities.

Datasheet from Amcrest - https://s3.amazonaws.com/amcrest-files/IP2M-853E+Technical+Specifications.pdf
Datasheet from Dahua - https://www.sourcesecurity.com/datasheets/dahua-technology-sd49212t-hn-ip-dome-camera/co-4261-ga/SD49212T-HN.pdf

I think the Amcrest data sheet looks oddly similar to page 2 of the Dahua one... lol

With a bit more poking its easy enough to determine exactly which Dahua model your NVR is too. On some of the OEM stuff you can also load the Dahua firmware and get additional features that Lorex, Amcrest, etc often strip out..

Also - newer pure IP recorders are referred to as NVR's. Analog ones as DVR's.. ;)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great Thanks mat.. If there is POE+ does that mean by definition that video is transmitted over the ethernet cable? I have no A/V cables on my recorder.
Hi Jimerb,

PoE = Power over Ethernet, PoE+ is more power over ethernet.

For PoE IP security cameras both the power and data can be transmitted via the ethernet cable ( typically either cat5e or cat6 )

( if you have available ports not used already on the NVR - you can hook up a cat5e/6 cable to the NVR and then to the PTZ camera - if the port is only a PoE spec'ed port it will not provide enough power, so you will need to add a PoE+ injector to fully power the PTZ camera as well having the cat5e/6 cable hooked up from the NVR to the camera. )

Jimerb

n3wb
Reaction score
This is starting to make a lot of senses to me know. thank you for your help Mat and MixMan!

My review seems to show that the camera is POE+ and my DVR is POE. So in that scenario will this Injector work for me?

Last edited:

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes - check the specs on the camera to see what the power draw is and make sure you get an injector that supplies at least that amount of power or a POE+ injector. Optionally many cameras do also include a power adapter and you can just use that but you would then need a plug outlet very near the camera.

TheOne4eva

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Jimerb,

PoE = Power over Ethernet, PoE+ is more power over ethernet.

For PoE IP security cameras both the power and data can be transmitted via the ethernet cable ( typically either cat5e or cat6 )

( if you have available ports not used already on the NVR - you can hook up a cat5e/6 cable to the NVR and then to the PTZ camera - if the port is only a PoE spec'ed port it will not provide enough power, so you will need to add a PoE+ injector to fully power the PTZ camera as well having the cat5e/6 cable hooked up from the NVR to the camera. )
so im looking to get the same amcrest ptz camera as op, am using blue iris and this poe switch https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GAATOG/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
will this work? or will that switch not provide enough power to the camera? thank you

TheOne4eva

n3wb
Reaction score
im thinking I should exchange my switch for one that says poe+ in the description? should I also opt for a managed one? what are the benefits of managed?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
im thinking I should exchange my switch for one that says poe+ in the description? should I also opt for a managed one? what are the benefits of managed?
Hi TheOne

If you have a separate switch for your LAN and a one for your PoE cameras I would not worry about getting a managed switch. It is simpler that way.

PoE+ is nice - but it will cost more, not required for most non-PTZ cameras.

TheOne4eva

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi TheOne

If you have a separate switch for your LAN and a one for your PoE cameras I would not worry about getting a managed switch. It is simpler that way.

ok but to power this ptz camera https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797583CP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AM1AKWRN957PC&psc=1 my current switch will not work correct? would this switch work and be sufficient for any future cameras? https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-Switch-Gigabit-Ethernet-uplink/dp/B01MQHD54L/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1531693340&sr=1-9&keywords=poe++switch thanks for all your help mat

TheOne4eva

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi TheOne

so if I get a poe+ switch it can power both my ptz and non-ptz cameras correct? it wont provide too much power to the non-ptz?