Mobile ALPR - Need help!

haj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey, I've been researching ALPR all over the internet and have been reading a lot of your posts on here.

I'm in the early stages of developing my own Mobile ALPR solution, using OpenALPR. My goal is to have a camera mounted in my car (as a dashcam) or potentially outside of the car which is supposed to pick up license plates of the cars ahead of me. I would also like to be able to pick up the license plates of the cars coming towards me in the opposite lane (obviously not on highways)

Currently i have been experimenting with a Logitech C920 webcam in my dashboard. It's a 3MP camera, and I'm using 1280x720p so i can proccess the images in real time on my laptop. (getting 10-15FPS)

However, obviously it's having a very hard time picking up license plates due to the poor quality of the image. I'm having the software save the frame, where OpenALPR hits the license plate, and it's always within very few mets (1-5) And i would love to have it 10-15 meters.

Now because of your expertise on this area, i would really appreciate the pointers you guys could give me. What kind of setup, would be best for my case? I'm seeing the police using XGA Monochrome (8,12,16,25,35,50mm lenses) But where would i even start, getting myself something like that? Getting license plates at night is not a priority for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

(attatched is a picture from my webcam, when it has picked up a license plate)

Attachments

haj

n3wb
Reaction score
Little update:
I've contacted some IP Cam shops and an industrial camera manufactorer to ask for their thoughts.
One pointer that i got, was to find a camera with the Sony 264 Sensor like this one: DMK 33UX264 - USB 3.0 monochrome industrial camera

That particular one is over $1K though!

Another pointer is just getting a dedicated ALPR camera like the ds-2cd4a26xxxxx/p
They seem more reasonable priced, but I'm sure i can find a camera with the Sony 264/IMX264 sensor.

Anyway that's my progress so far, if anyone of you have any good suggestions as for a good camera, please let me know!

Thanks