Mobile App

Blue65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed, but I tried searching and could not find anything specific. I have an all Dahua home setup with 4 Cameras on POE Switch that is connected to my Dahua NVR. I love the quality of the picture day and night. I selected these cameras over others from the input here on this forum. Now I am looking for the mobile app so I can live view and get alerts. I have been reading a little on DMSS and it seems there is some negativity towards it, but I am not sure if that is just more people generally complain on the internet than complement or if there is validity to these complaints on this forum.

I also run an android phone, which it seemed most of the complaints were from people with iPhones about the DMSS. So that said which app should I be running for a one home 4 camera dahua setup with an android?

avspin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use DMSS with my android phone, no issues. It accesses two NVRs. I use OpenVPN when away to see the cameras.

Last edited:

Blue65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So when you are away you can not use dmss to view your cameras?

avspin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, but that goes for any app.

avspin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes if you have P2P enabled.
It never occurred to me that anyone in this forum was still opening themselves up using P2P. You could also port forward.;)

Last edited:

Blue65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210813-174820_Google Play Store.jpg
There a a few dmss apps. Is this the one I want?

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use both the gDMSS and DMSS-App.

I use DMSS for notifications and playback.

gDMSS "autoplays" the latest cameras you looked at, this is a feature DMSS (to my knowledge) still is lacking - so for quickly checking your camera gDMSS is way better as it starts in a second. With DMSS you need one additional click inside the app.

Personally I feel that gDMSS is quicker and more responsive.
So, depending of what you want to do I'll recommend you both apps :)

Blue65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It never occurred to me that anyone in this forum was still opening themselves up using P2P. You could also port forward.
I am very much a noob. I just downloaded gDMSS and was reading an article on how to setup the app. This is the one I am referring to:

However, when I read your post it sounds like I should not be using P2P. So if you recommend not using P2P, how should I setup mobile viewing of my 4 cameras on my phone while I am not at the house? Thank you for the help.

awonson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am very much a noob. I just downloaded gDMSS and was reading an article on how to setup the app. This is the one I am referring to:

However, when I read your post it sounds like I should not be using P2P. So if you recommend not using P2P, how should I setup mobile viewing of my 4 cameras on my phone while I am not at the house? Thank you for the help.
@Blue65, either setup OpenVPN on your router (if it supports it; as many here have done) or buy a RaspberryPi and install OpenVPN on it. I used pivpn.io to install OpenVPN and WireGuard on two RPi. When you want to view your cameras on the cellular, turn on the VPN on your phone and view your cameras as you would if you were at home on your network. @avspin posted the VPN primer above.

cbt20

n3wb
Reaction score

There’s no reason to not use P2P unless you’re in government or on a corporate network. Simply changing the default credentials will deter 99% of threats. If you want to go through the headache of setting up and using a VPN for security theater that’s your decision.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There’s no reason to not use P2P unless you’re in government or on a corporate network. Simply changing the default credentials will deter 99% of threats. If you want to go through the headache of setting up and using a VPN for security theater that’s your decision.
Plenty of reasons why not to use p2p.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
This statement is fake news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbt20

n3wb
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anything can be hacked if it is accessible in some form or fashion.

The difference is OpenVPN is open sourced and will have holes fixed a lot quicker than P2P (if the camera manufacturer even cares to update it).

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for your pointless contribution.
Hey, I put a smiley at the end. It wasn’t a smart thing to convey. Go do your homework and find out why the advice you were giving was wrong.

cbt20

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey, I put a smiley at the end. It wasn’t a smart thing to convey. Go do your homework and find out why the advice you were giving was wrong.

No need to. Maybe when you figure out what security theater is we can have a nuanced discussion. The person above you was actually on the right track.