Montaview products anyone tried them?

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has tried any cameras or systems from this company?
Color at night is a big plus for anyone with cameras.
They claim color night but others have also and I have a couple cameras with enough light to give me good color at night.
This is the company I may try but has anyone tried them yet?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They claim color night but others have also and I have a couple cameras with enough light to give me good color at night.
they are simply rebranded dahua...flir also does this and advertises falsely about color night vision...you need lots of light...want color at night, get a dahua starlight and provide a bit of additional lighting.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
they are simply rebranded dahua...flir also does this and advertises falsely about color night vision...you need lots of light...want color at night, get a dahua starlight and provide a bit of additional lighting.
Thanks I do have 2 cameras that have color at night, 1 is a Dahua and really low light it has color amazingly. Other is a China brand and has medium to low light but is color. I can turn off the LEDs on the china ones and by doing that it sees nothing but when the motion lights kick on they also are color.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks I do have 2 cameras that have color at night, 1 is a Dahua and really low light it has color amazingly. Other is a China brand and has medium to low light but is color. I can turn off the LEDs on the china ones and by doing that it sees nothing but when the motion lights kick on they also are color.
All cameras can do color at night... nothing special..some need more light...ir led has no effect in color mode..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI -
Montavue MTB8870 4K 8MP HD IP Bullet Camera w/ 150ft IR Night Vision & Color Night Optics
Montavue MTB8870 4K 8MP HD IP Bullet Camera w/ 150ft IR Night Vision & Color Night Optics - Montavue

Looks similar to:
IPC-HFW4830E-S
IPC-HFW4830E-S - Dahua Technology

Which also looks similar to ( but this is in black.. )
4K Ultra HD Resolution 8MP Outdoor IP Camera, 200ft Night Vision
LNB8921BW
4K Ultra HD Resolution 8MP Outdoor IP Camera, 200ft Night Vision

Yes, they actually maybe different internally, still we can see the relation.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, I may try one out one day

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, I may try one out one day
dont be a sucker and overpay them for a rebranded product....there is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING in the camera the makes it different than the dahua or gives it special "color night vision" capability, its a marketing lie.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
dont be a sucker and overpay them for a rebranded product....there is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING in the camera the makes it different than the dahua or gives it special "color night vision" capability, its a marketing lie.
Are Dahua cameras good for color compared to the others at night? I know there needs to be some light and other cameras can also get color with ambient light, just curious if Duhua is a leader preferred to others

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are Dahua cameras good for color compared to the others at night? I know there needs to be some light and other cameras can also get color with ambient light, just curious if Duhua is a leader preferred to others
The cameras you linked to ARE dahuas...I think you are missing the point....
The dahua starlight or hikvision low light cams are you best bet for affordable color low light...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Ron,

A big part of the ability to have better night time images is the imaging chip used in a particular camera.

Dahua makes a lot of different cameras, as does Hikvision. Dahua was one of the first to come out a relatively affordable 2MP low light camera using a new Sony imaging chip. This they labeled as a special starlight model. Due to Dahua coming to market with those cameras before others at a good price point is why a lot of us here really like that series of cameras.

Hikvision I understand now also has cameras which use that type of chip from Sony in some of their new products.

Some of the Dahua OEM 8MP / 4K cameras are also using that family of chips from Sony, HOWEVER - due to there being more pixels per chip - each cell ( ~pixel ) gets less surface area in the 8MP chip vs the 2MP chip - thus the 2MP starlight camera performs better in low light vs the 8MP camera.

There still are Dahua OEM and Hikvision OEM products on the market which use older chip technology and thus perform significantly worse in low light conditions.

There's a post here on new Sony image sensors which you may like which covers some of this.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Ron,

A big part of the ability to have better night time images is the imaging chip used in a particular camera.

Dahua makes a lot of different cameras, as does Hikvision. Dahua was one of the first to come out a relatively affordable 2MP low light camera using a new Sony imaging chip. This they labeled as a special starlight model. Due to Dahua coming to market with those cameras before others at a good price point is why a lot of us here really like that series of cameras.

Hikvision I understand now also has cameras which use that type of chip from Sony in some of their new products.

Some of the Dahua OEM 8MP / 4K cameras are also using that family of chips from Sony, HOWEVER - due to there being more pixels per chip - each cell ( ~pixel ) gets less surface area in the 8MP chip vs the 2MP chip - thus the 2MP starlight camera performs better in low light vs the 8MP camera.

There still are Dahua OEM and Hikvision OEM products on the market which use older chip technology and thus perform significantly worse in low light conditions.

There's a post here on new Sony image sensors which you may like which covers some of this.
Thanks, that was a good explanation and will look more at the Dahua brand from now on. I found out from a couple ebay buys the hard way, contacted Dahua with questions, they asked for serial number, said can't help, not USA/Canada serial number not theirs.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My problem seems to be how to know a camera purchase will have support from Dahua as in the past they ask for serial number and all the ones I bought were not serial numbers USA/Canada and said no support. Drives me crazy on where to buy knowing it is the real deal and supported by the Dahua support

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us here are buying the Dahua International versions, thus if you can't find the --exact-- model number here: Dahua Technology - Leading Video Surveillance Solution Provider with CCTV Products, IP Camera, PTZ, HDCVI products, NVR, Intelligent Building, Intelligent Transportation and Software - Dahua Technology Then it's likely a Chinese region version, thus you want to avoid.
This forum is all the support you will need. Dahua does not support end users, only distributors.
Purchase from the store mentioned often here, and you'll be set.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My problem seems to be how to know a camera purchase will have support from Dahua as in the past they ask for serial number and all the ones I bought were not serial numbers USA/Canada and said no support. Drives me crazy on where to buy knowing it is the real deal and supported by the Dahua support
Hi Ron,

I've seen numerous complaints from users that they expect better customer service from the vendors in the USA of Hikvision OEM, Dahua OEM products.
( LaView, Lorex, Q-see,... )

Certainly those companies provide customer service, as well as extended warranties - yet somehow they manage to really frustrate a number of people when they are requesting help.

This entire industry segment is interesting to watch as it matures - as I believe there is a considerable demand for some sort of security camera solutions - as clearly is evidenced by Amazon's entry in the field as well as the success of sales Ring, Arlo, Nest,...

Unfortunately it seems that quality and reliability is significantly missing by those popular consumer brands.

During the BF - cyberweek deals here in the USA I did notice some kits which were very well priced compared to prices from ordering similar products from China directly.

The challenge is finding the particular models you may want as each vendor seems to have only a small selection - and those with larger selections ( like B&H ) are rather pricey.

The price difference of the BF price of the Montavue MTB8870 4K 8MP HD IP Bullet Camera - compared what seems like a similar international Dahua model purchased from China did not seem too much higher for a single unit. So if they do provide good service for you it maybe useful for you to purchase from them imho.

I know a number of people enjoy working also with Nelly's Security from what I have read.

If you are looking for a particular type of camera ( such as the Starlight models ) - then it is hard to just find them from US vendors, and purchasing them directly from China is a very compelling option if you're willing to accept more DIY support ( as Looney2ns points out is readily available here ;)

Last edited:

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok thanks. To bad some of these companies don't just sell direct like Duaha and only show product. It sure would simplify the whole thing

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. To bad some of these companies don't just sell direct like Duaha and only show product. It sure would simplify the whole thing
Dahua does not sell direct...

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dahua does not sell direct...
I know, that is why I mentioned I wish they would rather then just display their product. This way no issues when it comes to serial numbers and not supporting Dahua marked cameras I get from other sellers.
Last comment I made looked like I was saying Dahua sells on their site. Bad wording on my part

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know, that is why I mentioned I wish they would rather then just display their product. This way no issues when it comes to serial numbers and not supporting Dahua marked cameras I get from other sellers
It would cause a loss...they want nothing to do with end users like you...cost more to support you than you are worth...