More Cores or Higher Clock speed?

lunarlyte

n3wb
Reaction score
Which does BI take advantage of most? And does it utilize dual cpus efficiently?
I have many DVRs within my company with anywhere from 15-45 cameras per DVR and we are having skipping issues with some of them. It seems random and even the live feed skips so I know its not my disks. I use direct to disk with SSDs in most of the DVRs. The CPU just spikes up on BI service for what seems like no reason at all which I know there has to be a reason but I can't seem to figure it out. One of the DVRs in question has 32 cameras on it and uses an i7-5820K with 8GB DDR4 writing to an SSD and then archiving to a WD Purple.

lunarlyte

n3wb
Reaction score
My RAM isn't maxed out. I have an SSD for boot drive, another SSD for new recordings and a WD Purple for Archive.
I do see in two of those articles that over 20 cameras would recommend 16GB RAM even though the RAM usage isn't maxed out. I find that particularly odd but if it works then I will give it a shot. Thanks for the info. I have read over recommendations many times but don't remember coming across that particular bit of information. The scenario in the third article aligns with what I am experiencing also. I will check back once I have installed more RAM.

lunarlyte

n3wb
Reaction score
I feel like an idiot. After further investigation I have found that this particular DVR in question had a temperature issue. The CPU was getting to 100 C and thermal throttling. I am still going to upgrade to 16GB of RAM though. Thanks for you assistance.

Reaction score
BI should be recording directly to the WD purple drive, that's what its designed for. Writing to the SSD first will cause an early failure of the SSD. SSD's aren't designed for 24/7 video surveillance

The SSD should only be used for the boot drive, BI and BI's database

Reaction score
Not sure, Western Digital advertise support for up to 64 cameras. You would have to test it and watch the disk usage in the task manager (manually have all cameras record at the same time). You could always get two purples and have 15 cameras record to each one.

The way you have BI configured is really inefficient