More D2D questions/observations

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've painted myself into a corner, and the only way I'm able to get all 30 cameras to not saturate my i7 4770 CPU on windy/rainy days is to move most of them over to D2D.

One observation so far is that even with the "make" time set to 0.0 seconds, on many triggers, at least a full second has transpired before the recording actually starts. For example, a car entering the frame on the left, driving to the right will usually appear with half of the car cut off on the left side. That's plenty acceptable. However, on most of them, the car is more than halfway through the frame before it appears. Like magic. Nothing, then poof, there's a car in the middle of the screen.

I haven't tried using pre-buffering with D2D (don't even know if it'd work). I think what the problem is, is that when there are a lot of mini recording events (shadows in the wind, etc), each time a recording times out, it takes BI a second or so to finish writing that clip. If, during that clip ending period, a new event triggers a recording on that same camera, BI is busy, and won't start the new clip for several frames.

Thus, on a really quiet, motion-free day, each car is shown perfectly, edge-to-edge. But when there are a ton of stop/go recordings, the new clips are decimated by the previous recording session. I've not seen this when using regular xvid encoding.

Any ideas how to get around it with D2D, while not killing my CPU?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would put the make time back to your normal levels..your issue is described in the help file

"Also, recording must begin at the arrival of a key-frame (complete image). If your camera sends these only infrequently, you may miss the beginning of some motion-activated recordings unless you also use the pre-trigger video buffer."

Therefore you need to increase your pre trigger frames to at least your fps rate..i do double or triple...also if your camera lets you lower the i-frame interval then do so to match the fps...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Do you ever sleep? :)

So buffering works with D2D? Does it have the same CPU-clobbering effect with D2D as it does with the other rendered recording methods? I know, I should just try - but I'm so over going into each camera and tinkering. I have to do it to at least a dozen cameras to see if it has any real effect on the CPU.

As for the i-frame interval, yes, the Hikvisions do have that setting under config/video&audio. It's currently set to 50. I'll drop it to 15 to match my frame rate.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, no....
It has minimal effect...i have it set to 40 or so frames on 8 cameras totaling 22mp and in hitting 17-20 percent on the same i7-4770 (BI3)..
Yeah, definitely drop it on the hiks..

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What is the downside to having the i-frame interval set even lower? I.e. is there such a thing as too low? 1?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the downside to having the i-frame interval set even lower? I.e. is there such a thing as too low? 1?
I dont know the technical answer to that..on dahua it wont let you set it lower than the fps...on hikvision it does..my thinking is that of you set it too low you are sending too many complete frames and circumventing the compression...it may cause issues..particularity with bandwidth..

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Makes sense, but if you've given camera a hard limit on the max bit rate (i.e. 1024kbps), then I suppose it would get pretty blocky to try and comply with both requests - full frames, but not more pipe. I'll know I've pushed it too far if I see smoke coming out of it.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
With the benefit of daylight, I played around with the i-frame intervals of my front-facing cameras. They're the ones that have the most issue with missing intros on the recorded clips. The speed limit on my street is 25, so 15fps is more than adequate, provided the recording starts on or near the first few frames of motion.

That being said, with the IFI set to 15, it made a marked improvement on capturing the initial trigger. I'd say the recordings start within .5 seconds of initial movement. That's more than acceptable.

But, just to see what happens with the IFI turned way down, I moved it to 5 frames. The resulting recordings became annoyingly blocky, and noticeably reset about three times per second (i.e. every 5 frames) - enough so that actually triggered BI's motion detection.

I'm sure had I bumped the bit rate up from my current 1024kbps that would have improved - but I'm not keen about chewing up my HDD just so I get fractionally better reaction time on the recording clips.
@fenderman, big thank you for your suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
With the benefit of daylight, I played around with the i-frame intervals of my front-facing cameras. They're the ones that have the most issue with missing intros on the recorded clips. The speed limit on my street is 25, so 15fps is more than adequate, provided the recording starts on or near the first few frames of motion.

That being said, with the IFI set to 15, it made a marked improvement on capturing the initial trigger. I'd say the recordings start within .5 seconds of initial movement. That's more than acceptable.

But, just to see what happens with the IFI turned way down, I moved it to 5 frames. The resulting recordings became annoyingly blocky, and noticeably reset about three times per second (i.e. every 5 frames) - enough so that actually triggered BI's motion detection.

I'm sure had I bumped the bit rate up from my current 1024kbps that would have improved - but I'm not keen about chewing up my HDD just so I get fractionally better reaction time on the recording clips.
@fenderman, big thank you for your suggestion.
I would try adding 15 pre trigger frames..that way you get everything...