Motion activated flood lights... what's the best color temperature to use?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have motion activated floods and would like to know if it makes a difference to BI clip quality while in IR mode. There are several choices like White 6000K / Neutral White 4500K / Warm White 3100K. Just curious since I'll be replacing my floods with wide-angle instead of spot lights.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It should not matter. I would get the 3100 or even 2700 if available...its personal preference but I think the blue/super white lights look silly on a home. Also, I would leave them on all night, not on motion...these timers that can adjust for sunrise and sunset are perfect
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AP92N2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks @fenderman... my floods actually have a dusk/dawn setting so I could use that most likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks @fenderman... my floods actually have a dusk/dawn setting so I could use that most likely.
I think, though I dont know for certain, that the dusk dawn settings, simply limits the motion activation to night time..but it wont keep it on all night...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Heath-Zenith brand flood lights have been among the most common in the US for a few decades (less so now with led). Many of these have a Dual-Bright mode where the light can be on all the time at a lower setting and go full bright on motion. There are also settings to keep them on full bright dusk to dawn. These lights ONLY turn on at night no matter what (except maybe test mode).

For cams color temp won't matter. Changes in light level eg motion activated light, will cause cams to adjust their exposure. Color temp may have an impact on how many bugs the light attracts with some led bulbs attracting fewer bugs.

Now for the bad news, if you have one of these very common heath-zenith flood lights it won't work with led or cfl bulbs. Even on full bright it dims slightly so no cfl's and most par38 motion activated floods have a minimum load to function typically around 40W, 2 led bulbs will use around 20W. So led/cfl with just resulting in flickering and flashing.

The good news is there are some fairly cheap floodlights with led bulbs built-in.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. You may be right about that @fenderman, I'll need to check om that. Also, it would be really interesting if someone made an IR illuminator bulb that would fit in my motion fixtures!

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.