Motion and camera tampering alerts, mostly in the morning

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a cam in my garage and often in the mornings I'll get nuisance motion and tampering alerts. Of course, I have been checking the snapshots and sometimes a live feed but there hasn't been any actual disturbance/entry into the garage. Thinking it's lighting changes based on some reading I've done.

But, what I'm not quite clear on is whether this is a matter of changing sensitivity, threshold, both, or something else entirely. Recommendations?

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Record continuously. Motion records everything you don’t want and nothing you want.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Recording is continuous, but I have motion alert and tampering alert set up to send me notifications on event trigger.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using blue iris, NVR or camera motion detection. have you look at IVS ( Intelligent Video Surveillance System), like line crossing. Motion detection does not work well with the wind , light changes, flying bugs....

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's presently a bit of mix-match. I plan to have a run at BI, working on a dedicated, higher-HP computer for that.

Presently, I have Dahua's SmartPSS / PC-NVR doing straight up 24/7 recording to an old Core2 quad Q6600 box wherein I temporarily installed two Purple HDDs . The motion detection and tamper settings and email notifications thereof are all set up directly in each camera through its respective IP and web GUI.

I'd initially tried IVS/tripwire but had no success with that so I went to straight motion. After some recent additional reading I may understand the failure with tripwire.

I was laying them out literally like tripwires, but based on the reading they actually need to be set up like a plane to break through, not like a tripwire in the literal sense. Is that correct?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's presently a bit of mix-match. I plan to have a run at BI, working on a dedicated, higher-HP computer for that.

Presently, I have Dahua's SmartPSS / PC-NVR doing straight up 24/7 recording to an old Core2 quad Q6600 box wherein I temporarily installed two Purple HDDs . The motion detection and tamper settings and email notifications thereof are all set up directly in each camera through its respective IP and web GUI.

I'd initially tried IVS/tripwire but had no success with that so I went to straight motion. After some recent additional reading I may understand the failure with tripwire.

I was laying them out literally like tripwires, but based on the reading they actually need to be set up like a plane to break through, not like a tripwire in the literal sense. Is that correct?
Check the power usage in the q6600...my folks had a dell from 2008 and last time i tested it was pulling 130 or so at idle. I tossed it into the trash.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Check the power usage in the q6600...my folks had a dell from 2008 and last time i tested it was pulling 130 or so at idle. I tossed it into the trash.
Holy crap 130 ... crazy

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh, I have no doubt it's a heater. I actually have a QX6800 I had planned to install and turn the screws, but never got around to getting a bigger cooler I suspected would be necessary.

All that plus a big video card...yeah, it's a coal burner.

I have a Kill-A-Watt. If I remember maybe I'll measure the Q6600 without the video card and the i7-3770 replacement for kicks.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Holy crap 130 ... crazy
yup, they were only using it for an hour or two a day...they also had an old outdated speaker system hooked up to the pc, it drew 40w or so at idle due to a huge subwoofer- insane. i had enough. I just showed up with an i5-6500 elitedesk and some logitech speakers and swapped it out they are set for the next 10 years. I dumped the dell and sub at the recycling center.