Motion blur - ghosting

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am experiencing the same issue with two of my cameras. If a person or object is moving it looks like there are 3 of the same person or object following right behind looking like a motion blur or trailing object. It's not the same as others have posted where the blur makes it so you cant see detail. Image settings, picture and frame rate are good. the view looks really great other than the motion blur. What else can I adjust to resolve?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your shutter speed is far too low if your getting ghosting.. up the shutter speed until it goes away, its a compromise.. to fast a shutter and not enough light gets in and image is too dark, too slow shutter and contrast is very nice but everything that moves ghosts.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
In case it's not your shutter speed, try reducing or disabling your noise reduction setting. I've seen DNR cause that sort of smearing...

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In case it's not your shutter speed, try reducing or disabling your noise reduction setting. I've seen DNR cause that sort of smearing...
Agreed, this is almost certainly the problem especially if you have it happening during the day too. DNR on the 3mp cameras can be set to 70 or even 100 without major issues but anything over 50 on a 4mp camera causes the ghosting problem for me. I set DNR to 30 on 4mp cams just to be safe as I can still notice it at night on a 4mp if set to 50 and a car goes by close to the camera for instance. 50 is fine on my 3mp cams.

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will adjust settings later today and get back with the results. Thanks for your time!

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey, I finally have a site with a camera I can share briefly! Here is a 4mp camera at three settings for DNR, 30, 70 and 100. These images are cropped down to show the traffic going by where you can see the traffic, not the best examples but hey, it is what I got! :)

DNR 30
Test DNR at 30.jpg

DNR 70
DNR at 70.jpg

Then DNR at horrible er, I mean 100
DNR at 100.jpg

Mild problem there lol. Firmware 5.3.6 on the cameras. This issue is even worse up close things but the cars here illustrate the issue just fine. The only changes at all here is the DNR setting on the cameras.

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ran into the same problem with my 4MP. It is located very close to my driveway to capture license plates as traffic comes and goes. Being this close to the vehicles as they pass by, makes the ghosting problem very obvious. I actually set my DNR at 10 which completely eliminates the ghosting.

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks After adjusting the exposure and DNR I have solved the ghosting issue. No oher settings were adjusted and now one of my cameras will only come up in substream not mainstream?