motion detect setting

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I currently have 6 cameras on my dahua nvr. 2 of them are new installs. I tried several different ways to get the 2 new cameras motion detection to appear on the timeline with the yellow activation hash mark and no luck. both cameras send me an email alert of the motion detect activation.. I logged directly into the nvr via web and tried setting the schedule and no change. I logged directly into the camera and no change. I doubled checked my recording and event schedule and everything looks good. I even applied a good channel to the problem camera and no change. should I just uncheck all recording, motion detect settings and start form scratch on each camera. thanks again for all the help

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not an NVR expert by any stretch, but what model NVR? It can be related to memory limitations of the NVR which can limit how much processing can be done.

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ok one new cameras is now reporting motion detect on the timeline and one is not. The one that is not reporting on the time line is my lpr it was set on trip wire and motion detect. is there a conflict with these settings?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Show a pic of your NVR recording schedule for the problem camera.

What is the model of the problem camera?

All recording decisions are made by the NVR. You can set both IVS and plain MD on most cameras and record if the NVR schedule is set properly. You can’t generally use SMD and IVS together though…

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I just happened to run into what looks like the same thing. Thanks to IVS filtering out animals, I've been experiencing with IVS and dumb motion detect running at the same time. I did get it working finally, but I did so much random fiddling that I can't give a step-by-step procedure. I started with IVS enabled and later enable motion detection. None of the motion events showed up on the NVR timeline, even though they were recorded on the camera's SD card. I looked at the motion detect area with the NVR interface and it was totally different from what I had set on the camera interface, and reconfigured it from the NVR. Then I looked at the motion detect area from the camera interface and it was totally reset to all the squares enabled. Then I decided to turn off IVS via the Smart Plan setting, and just get motion detect working, which eventually happened. I then reenabled IVS via Smart Plan, and now IVS and motion detect are working correctly together.

My overall advice from this is: (1) Turn off IVS, (2) Get motion detect working correctly, (3) Turn IVS back on, and they hopefully both work at the same time.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve always had the most luck making ALL settings on the camera except for the recording schedule.
If it’s available on the camera make the setting/change there.

Once you go back and forth making changes with the NVR interface that are available in the camera , things tend to go south.

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I will post settings shortly its a new 5231e z12e from Andy used as lpr

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My comments above were based on working with a 5442. The IVS on the 5231 works so well that I've never seen a need to try motion detect with it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Tick the box “record channel”, I tick this on the camera as well.

You’re not using SMD right?
That looks like you’re not recording IVS /Smart detection..

reboot nvr

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
My comments above were based on working with a 5442. The IVS on the 5231 works so well that I've never seen a need to try motion detect with it.
I run both IVS Tripwire and plain vanilla MD on 5241 Z12s I use for LPR because at night the scene is so dark at 1/1000-1/2000 exposure, IVS can’t detect. MD sees the lights …

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
This is a bit older firmware on a 4108 NVr, I cant reach a 52xx right now. But idea is the same

You do have the master record ticked for that camera yes? And MD and IVS (Smart on some firmware) full time on the schedule. This is ALL you use the NVR for, all other settings including Area, sensitvity etc should be made on the camera. Reboot NVR once all set and the camera will synch the NVR
NVR-Record.jpg NVR-Record3.jpg

*Then MD settings. * Note I dont make any settings on this screen on the NVR, I let the camera push back to the NVR. It doesnt always work the other way
NVR-Record2.jpg

5241 Z12 Camera settings
MD
CameraMD-Record1.jpg CameraMD-Record2.jpg

IVS
CameraIVS-Record1.jpg

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just installed a 5232-4KS2 and am also running into problems with motion detection events being recorded. It seems on my NVR I'm completely missing the Video Detect menu under Camera, so am unable to even configure motion detection on the NVR. I do have it enabled on the cameras directly (5442) though, but those motion events do not show on the recordings. This is what I believe is the latest firmware version, which is what my NVR came with. Any ideas?

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Video detect menu is under Alarm.
Thank you, found it!

Motion does seem to be getting recorded now when I check the playback area.

Is there any way to easily filter to SMD or IVS events on the NVR? For example, in one of my cameras I have SMD (vehicle, person) enabled along with a SD card in the camera. When I playback on the camera there is a dropdown that lets me select SMD (vehicle) to filter to only those events. I can't seem to find the equivalent on the NVR. Does that functionality exist?

Thanks again in advance.

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, I think I may have found the answer to my own question.. AI Search! That seems to be what I'm looking for.