motion detection help

wesalbert

n3wb
Reaction score
For my motion detection I seem to only catch the end of motion. For instance, when someone shows up at my front door I usually have a recording of them walking away.
I have played with the sensitivity as well as the Make time.
Any ideas what I need to adjust?
Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For my motion detection I seem to only catch the end of motion. For instance, when someone shows up at my front door I usually have a recording of them walking away.
I have played with the sensitivity as well as the Make time.
Any ideas what I need to adjust?
Thanks
Disable object detect reject - this will cause you to miss triggers.
In the record tab, set pretrigger frames to at least 1x your cameras FPS...2x is better..so if your camera is set to 15fps, set the pretrigger frames to 15-30

wesalbert

n3wb
Reaction score
Object detect is unchecked. I will try upping my pre-trigger frame buffer.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Object detect is unchecked. I will try upping my pre-trigger frame buffer.
What is you make time? post an image of your settings...
Are you recording with the direct to disk option?

wesalbert

n3wb
Reaction score
For my front door camera (the one I am most concerned with right now) my make time is 0.4. The pre-trigger buffer was set to 0.
Frame rate is set to 22.50fps so I set the buffer to 40. Saving direct to disk and archive to a NAS.

Computer is an Intel i70 3820 Quad with 28GB ram and a 3TB HD backing up to a 6TB NAS.
I have 11 cameras set up in BI and it seems to be running nice and smooth. No issues with is since installed BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For my front door camera (the one I am most concerned with right now) my make time is 0.4. The pre-trigger buffer was set to 0.
Frame rate is set to 22.50fps so I set the buffer to 40. Saving direct to disk and archive to a NAS.

Computer is an Intel i70 3820 Quad with 28GB ram and a 3TB HD backing up to a 6TB NAS.
I have 11 cameras set up in BI and it seems to be running nice and smooth. No issues with is since installed BI.
Ok, when using direct to disk, recording starts on the iframe..so check your cameras iframe interval settings...and match it to your frame rate..this along with the prerigger will solve your problem.

wesalbert

n3wb
Reaction score
looks like I can go a little lower with my frame rate and that pretrigger buffer. I will take a look at the iframe settings.
Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
looks like I can go a little lower with my frame rate and that pretrigger buffer. I will take a look at the iframe settings.
Thanks
yes you can, the frame rate adjustment is now irrelevant (its forces auto adjust)..since your camera is only feeding 9fps, set the pretrigger to 20..though if you have enough resources it can never hurt to have a few extra seconds of recording..

wesalbert

n3wb
Reaction score
Camera is one of those cheap Escam Qd520 or Qd500.
fps is set at 25, iframe was at 2, now 11.

Attachments

wesalbert

n3wb
Reaction score
a cat walked by the front door and it caught the whole thing. Usually I see them about mid to 3/4 frame leaving.

wesalbert

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll let it go for a day or two and report back.

Just turned the garage light on, and it caught the recording of it being off, then turning on. Perfect. I like.