Motion sensor settings

Reaction score
I run 13 cameras in a manufacturing facility. Each day all the lights are on for 10 hours then half are on for 6 more then all the lights are off for the balance of the day. The cameras do not have night vision. When the lights are on, I want to record anything that moves. For this reason, I set Min Object Size and Min Contrast to their highest sensitivity. I also have Object Detect/Reject disabled. My problem is that during poorly lit and completely dark hours, the cameras noise causes lots and lots of false motion. Can someone explain these settings and give advice on how best to set them?

Min Object Size
Min Contrast
Object Detect/Reject
Drop down: Color + Brightness / Brightness only / Color only

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You can try increasing the make time. If the lights go out on a regular schedule the best solution is to set another profile for when the cameras are dark, in that profile you can increase the make time and also the object size and contrast.

Reaction score
I just set up a global schedule using Profiles 1 and 2. I need to experiment with the Object Size and Contrast settings to get the best results for the 2 profiles. All my cameras are in essentially the same lighting environment. Is there a way in the software to change these setting for all the cameras without having to open the settings dialog for each camera? Many thanks for your suggestion.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Great. No there no global settings for object size and contrast.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only way (generally speaking) I have been able to minimize all that noise of using a daytime camera round the clock, to some extent, is to turn brightness down & contrast up (iirc or maybe it was contrast down too), turn down color so it becomes b/w, reduce gain, play with noise reduction, etc. which I guess could be a night time schedule, but then the trouble comes, when something happens, the image quality is crap and does not auto-adjust. (somebody enters during the night, flips one or all the lights, goes through with a flashlight, ...)

But it could be something that may help a bit if applied cautiously in addition to the motion analytics you are playing with.

I just think either some minimum level of lighting will be needed round the clock to accommodate the cameras; or a camera upgrade will be in order, to have the video surveillance system do what it needs to do; capture motion in both day & night with quality footage and the benefit of each camera switching day/night independently as needed.