Motion trigger but missing video after trigger

jkvw

n3wb
Reaction score
On Blue Iris 5.7.1 I have noticed a situation where recording is triggered by motion successfully. The image that is pushed to my device and shows on the alert list contains a snapshot of the movement that triggers the recording/alert. If I walk under the cam I can see myself in the snapshot.

However, if I click through to watch the video, I have about 10s of nothing happening then it instantly jumps forward one minute (I can see the overlayed clock jump 1 minute forward) and i can see my shadow walking away. The minute where I actually trigger the recording seems to be missing. It's particularly frustrating because obviously this is the most important thing I want to see.

I've noticed this a couple times on multiple cameras. Any ideas on what is happening to the missing video? One thought I had is that to walk under this camera I typically walk through 2 other cameras sequentially. Which means I trigger alert 1, alert2, and then this alert with the missing video. Could it be a hardware thing where it has trouble writing 3 streams at a time? If so, why can it write the 10s leading up to the trigger?

Any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you using reolink cameras or a smart/+ codec? Post an image of the cameras web interface video tab.

jkvw

n3wb
Reaction score
Your version should not be numbered higher than the latest version (5.2.7.12 as of 5/16/20) ...please double-check your version.
Oops, you're right. I am on 5.2.7.1. Mistyped.

jkvw

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you using reolink cameras or a smart/+ codec? Post an image of the cameras web interface video tab.
These are laview cameras. I have 5 of the same camera and 3 different models of laview. I've never noticed this on the other cameras but also never watched the time as closely so may have missed movement before without realizing it.

(I've posted a screnshot of the web ui of the camera, if you meant a screenshot of the video tab in blueiris let me know)

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
These are laview cameras. I have 5 of the same camera and 3 different models of laview. I've never noticed this on the other cameras but also never watched the time as closely so may have missed movement before without realizing it.

(I've posted a screnshot of the web ui of the camera, if you meant a screenshot of the video tab in blueiris let me know)
You need to match the iframe interval to the fps. BI can only begin recording a trigger on a new iframe. In your case your iframe interval is 9 times your frame rate and is causing your issue.

jkvw

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to match the iframe interval to the fps. BI can only begin recording a trigger on a new iframe. In your case your iframe interval is 9 times your frame rate and is causing your issue.
Thanks! Trying it now. I wonder if this is the same problem that made me abandon Shinobi. It also seemed to recognize motion but rarely ever captured the motion on video. I also noticed that I have BI set to 30 fps whereas my camera is obviously sending 6 fps. Is that a problem or does it figure out the difference?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! Trying it now. I wonder if this is the same problem that made me abandon Shinobi. It also seemed to recognize motion but rarely ever captured the motion on video. I also noticed that I have BI set to 30 fps whereas my camera is obviously sending 6 fps. Is that a problem or does it figure out the difference?
No its not a problem. Leave it.

n2qew

n3wb
Reaction score
I was about to post a question about a similar issue. Just playing at this point. Saw itfirst time I installed, so did a second install on a second machine with not much changes since install, and still see it. Basically same issue as OP said... Initial testing is just camera pointing out window. See passing car / bicyclist, etc in event clip, so it triggers, but triggering event is either never seen, or exiting frame. You mentioned Smart +. I'm testing with a Dahua 2831 and I'm running H.265 / smart as it sorta eliminates the "breathing" from the iFrames. I'm reading between the lines from what you said and thinking that BI doesn't deal well with it. Is this iFrame issue common to all DVRs? If so, what good is Smart Codec?

Video at OneDrive link shows the issue I have. Note that when I click on the clip where motion was detected at 11:21:49, Video record starts at 11:21:54. Next clip detect is at 11:27:53 and Video record started only a second later, so car was seen. (Pay no attention to pegged CPU, as I was RDC'd into the machine, running browser and capturing / transcoding to mp4 - normally at ~15% when not trying to kill the machine).

Camera config.
1590203611827.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was about to post a question about a similar issue. Just playing at this point. Saw itfirst time I installed, so did a second install on a second machine with not much changes since install, and still see it. Basically same issue as OP said... Initial testing is just camera pointing out window. See passing car / bicyclist, etc in event clip, so it triggers, but triggering event is either never seen, or exiting frame. You mentioned Smart +. I'm testing with a Dahua 2831 and I'm running H.265 / smart as it sorta eliminates the "breathing" from the iFrames. I'm reading between the lines from what you said and thinking that BI doesn't deal well with it. Is this iFrame issue common to all DVRs? If so, what good is Smart Codec?

Video at OneDrive link shows the issue I have. Note that when I click on the clip where motion was detected at 11:21:49, Video record starts at 11:21:54. Next clip detect is at 11:27:53 and Video record started only a second later, so car was seen. (Pay no attention to pegged CPU, as I was RDC'd into the machine, running browser and capturing / transcoding to mp4 - normally at ~15% when not trying to kill the machine).

Camera config.
View attachment 62252
You are seeing the issue because of smart codec as explained. If you insist on using it, switch to a dahua NVR or a different vms that supports it.

n2qew

n3wb
Reaction score
You are seeing the issue because of smart codec as explained. If you insist on using it, switch to a dahua NVR or a different vms that supports it.
That makes sense. Really not insisting on using if it causes an issue with BI working. It's just how the camera was set, and after reading the comment, it was an Ah-Ha moment, and and I wanted to confirm.

Thanks.