Mount IPC-T5442TM-AS on vertical 1 gang box

blargrx

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!

I’ve got my cameras all picked out and ready place an order but having difficulty picking the right mount for the camera. My house is a new construction and I had the builder place 6 drops around the house for cameras.

I’ve attached photos of what the drops look like. They’re essentially 1 gang boxes oriented vertically. I was originally planning on using wall mount PFB204W. The issue I’m having is that the dimensions of the wall mount cover 3 inches vertically according to the specs. Since the gang box is almost 4 inches there will be a portion uncovered.

Has anyone else run into this issue or have some suggestions? I wasn’t sure if I could use a gang box adapter PFA200G then attach the wall mount to the adapter and use silicon to seal the edges? Any help would be appreciated!

099426A2-6EEC-4F30-A4FB-BF2ADB8850DC.jpeg482010D5-F3C0-49BA-AEEC-03A38ECAF01F.jpeg

For some reason the pictures are horizontal but the actual box orientation is vertical.

blargrx

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks TonyR!

That’s the same adaptor I was planning on using. For some reason I had it stuck in my head that I wanted to use the wall mount PFB204W and I was trying to figure out if I could use both.

The simpler solution of course is to just mount it right to the adaptor to the box and seal the edges.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks TonyR!

That’s the same adaptor I was planning on using. For some reason I had it stuck in my head that I wanted to use the wall mount PFB204W and I was trying to figure out if I could use both.

The simpler solution of course is to just mount it right to the adaptor to the box and seal the edges.
Yes, I'm thinking a good outdoor-rated caulk to seal the edge of the adapter where it meets the house will do the trick, as it is stated that's it's for indoor use.

Besides, you're going to treat that RJ-45 with a touch of dielectric grease before you plug it into the pigtail and then wrap the union of the 2 with coax seal (self-vulcanizing rubber tape) and finally a layer of electrical tape (like 3M 33+ or 88) TIGHTLY applied to speed the curing process, right ? :headbang:

Last edited:

blargrx

n3wb
Reaction score
Haha I will now!! Adding to my amazon cart. Will updated once I get everything in and it stops raining

blargrx

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve finally purchased everything and getting ready to do my install tomorrow. I’ve got all my camera plugged directly into my switch right now to make sure they all work. I’ve got tomorrow off so I’ll finally mount them out doors and take some pictures.

My last 2 questions
1.) the cameras come with a waterproof adapter that covers the rj45. Do I use the adaptor, then wrap that with coax seal and 3m tape. Or are two wraps supposed to be in place of the waterproof adaptor that came with the camera?

2.) I got an outdoor rated clear sealant. When you seal the adaptor, do you go all the way around? Or do you do it in a “U” shape and leave a opening on the bottom. I saw another thread that mentioned the “U” shape to release any potential built up condensation

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve finally purchased everything and getting ready to do my install tomorrow. I’ve got all my camera plugged directly into my switch right now to make sure they all work. I’ve got tomorrow off so I’ll finally mount them out doors and take some pictures.

My last 2 questions
1.) the cameras come with a waterproof adapter that covers the rj45. Do I use the adaptor, then wrap that with coax seal and 3m tape. Or are two wraps supposed to be in place of the waterproof adaptor that came with the camera?

2.) I got an outdoor rated clear sealant. When you seal the adaptor, do you go all the way around? Or do you do it in a “U” shape and leave a opening on the bottom. I saw another thread that mentioned the “U” shape to release any potential built up condensation
FWIW - I did not use the "adapter" - just a bit of di-electric get in the RJ45 socket and connected it to the RJ45 plug and then wrapped with silicone stretch tape or coax seal and put into the junction box ( and sealed the top seams with silicone caulk )