Mounting a WD HDD in Hikvision7806NI-E2/P Screws too long -anyone else had this?

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I received my 7808NI-E2/P and have been playing around with it for a few nights. I ordered the 6TB HDD and thought it would be a simple 10min job.

The screws Hikvision supply seem to be too long for the case + screw socket on the HDD. I cant tighten it to stay in the case slots.

I'm a bit scared to keep tightening in case I screw something up, strip it, screw the HDD.

Has anyone else had this problem?

My options would appear to get nylon washers but then run the risk of the screws extending further out than the bottom of the case?

I've attached two photos. AM I doing something wrong? I've loosened off the screws a little to get it out but you see my problem.
grr what you think is a 10min job.

~

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The pictures are very small, I can't see anything useful.

Are you sure you used the right screws?

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If they gave you wrong screws just pop by any computer shop, they should be able to spare a few for nothing. There should be about 5mm of thread.

Theres only about 3 types of screws used in computers, a coarse thread, fine thread, and the big ones for fans.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What you need is a 6-32 screw if you are ordering a bunch from ebay or similar.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you're feeling lazy you can always 'borrow' some from your pc. I'm sure it won't mind.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
WD drives typically come with a small bag of 4 screws per HD - use the screws that came with the HD. Or like @Michelin Man said - have your PC lend you some. Pull one or two from your CD drive different sides and opposite corners. Then use the two screws to mount the HD again - different sides/opposite corners.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a recollection that WDC changed the screw depth on the current large size models, and this extract from one of their documents confirms this:
Described in this document will be the details of the following four different mounting conditions. Seesection 4.2, Tapped depth, fastener penetration, and thread engagement for detail.​
​
Current 1 to 3-disk products. These provide the deepest bottom hole screw depth penetration.
​
Current 4-disk products. These reduce the screw depth penetration capability while still meeting theSFF standard.
​
Current 5-disk products. These further reduce the screw depth penetration capability while also still
meeting the SFF standard.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAAahUKEwja4riK05zIAhWEPxoKHdHjAb4&url=http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/other/2579-771970.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFzD4je85eQolCX6Ap99ccZLE4v8Q&sig2=SwzfDn72XNLBVi3lp91P4g

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^That would make sense. The 6TB has more platters inside therefore less gap between the mounting point and the platter itself. Time to whip the grinder out.

Intetesting someone menyioned WD includes screws with their HDDs I've probably bought 60 of em by now and never got any. Maybe my suppliers been knocking off me screws.

It'd be funny if Hikvision stated 4TB was the largest HDD you could use due to the provided screws hahahaha.

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you need to add some small metal washers i think to each screw.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
^That would make sense. The 6TB has more platters inside therefore less gap between the mounting point and the platter itself. Time to whip the grinder out.

Intetesting someone menyioned WD includes screws with their HDDs I've probably bought 60 of em by now and never got any. Maybe my suppliers been knocking off me screws.

It'd be funny if Hikvision stated 4TB was the largest HDD you could use due to the provided screws hahahaha.
just fired up an NVR for a coworker this past week. Got 2 WD purple drives, 4TB and 2TB, both came with a small sealed pack of 4 screws... the dozen or so drives I've purchased over the last year or so all had screws.

*to clarify, I have a source for retail boxed drives, if your purchasing bare drives that may be why.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^That's probably it.

I didn't even know you could get retail boxed drives. Then again I didn't feel the need to pay twice the price for same thing just in a retail box (especially if I bought it from a big retail store).

Although when I bought quite a few of em, they came in a big brown box with a white cradle thing. Still no screws though.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
^That's probably it.

I didn't even know you could get retail boxed drives. Then again I didn't feel the need to pay twice the price for same thing just in a retail box (especially if I bought it from a big retail store).

Although when I bought quite a few of em, they came in a big brown box with a white cradle thing. Still no screws though.
Totally agree - I did some contract work for someone in the industry and I can get retail boxed purple drives for wholesale price, basically identical to bare drive pricing. Does it make the product any "better" not really but hey, I'll take it... and apparently I get screws too! Haha

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi you guys are all correct. I found out today on the latest larger drives they've minimised the screw depth, but hikvision is sending out the old screw size ~ 6mm shank. grrrrr

The screws are 6-32 x 1/8 which are required (~3mm shank) .

Hours of searching does not show them up at retail or online providers here in New Zealand so far... grrrrr.

I bought nylon washers but they cant be used externally as the recess is only deep enough to accommodate the screw head in the 7806Ni casing.

The other option is potentially drill holes and fit a 2mm flat plastic block to the bottom of the NVR internal casing.

I'm still hunting for local 6-32 x 1/8 which is not easy in a metric country.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Might be easier to find a small box of washers.

Or give the screws you got a lick with the angle grinder.