Mounting camera under fascia/eaves?

ohhgourami

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount Dahua varifocal turrets to the fascia of my house.

DSC_2065.JPG
The blue line is where I plan to run PVC conduit out of the stucco. If you guys have suggestions on how to secure the conduit to the hole in the stucco would be nice too. The camera will be under the corner. I could directly screw the cameras to the wood but I don't want the cable exposed which would mean using a mount of sorts (PFA137?). I wouldn't want the mount surface mounted as it would lower the camera further but not sure how to keep the mount recessed and flushed with the bottom of the fascia.

Help please!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My first thought would be to move the camera to the next rafter tail and to go through the blocking into the attic rather than through the stucco. If you ever use the flag holder just move it.
upload_2018-2-8_23-10-11.png

ohhgourami

n3wb
Reaction score
I forgot to mention the other side of the wall is my garage (first floor) and this is a 2 story house. The next rafter tail isn't quite flushed with the fascia.

Hmmm maybe I can screw a 1x4 to the bottom of the rafter and attach a mount to get the clearance I need.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You may want to reconsider the location. The conventional wisdom here is against mounting cameras up that high. Perhaps simply punching straight through the garage wall near its ceiling height and mounting the camera there would be better. Have you done any test placements with the camera yet?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I forgot to mention the other side of the wall is my garage (first floor) and this is a 2 story house. The next rafter tail isn't quite flushed with the fascia.

Hmmm maybe I can screw a 1x4 to the bottom of the rafter and attach a mount to get the clearance I need.
I'm sure you you could shim / build things out in a way that would work. The outer corner seems more difficult to me and I think it would look worse. Simply going straight through the wall into the garage as @Mr_D suggests makes a lot of sense to me and would probably look & function better.

Post another picture or two from a different perspective, maybe one standing farther down the driveway.

Last edited:

ohhgourami

n3wb
Reaction score
Had the chance to take a few pics. Going straight through the wall is definitely a good option with the cleanest looking install. I was mostly afraid of IR reflection though my street is well lit enough that I keep color on 24/7.

Interesting that you guys recommend I mount a bit lower. I suppose it provides a better angle but I was worried about vandalism which might seem over paranoid.

Attachments

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting that you guys recommend I mount a bit lower. I suppose it provides a better angle but I was worried about vandalism which might seem over paranoid.
The picture you posted really doesn't give a very good perspective on the height you were thinking about mounting the camera. These cameras are pretty tough.

ohhgourami

n3wb
Reaction score
DSC_2068b.jpg
Position A would be under the fascia.
Position B would be out of the wall.
Both are right about 8 feet high.

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why PVC conduit? Metal will protect it better if you're worried about vandalism . Here are 2 pics. The first is finished, comes out of the garage to the side of the house. The second is a work in progress. It came out of the 2nd story attic, followed a beam down, went through the beam and attached to the house. From that mount the cable that is hanging will come straight down in more conduit to a sliding glass door thats under an eave. PFA137's used at both locations.

IMG_4855.JPG IMG_4856.JPG

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Position A would be under the fascia.
Position B would be out of the wall.
Both are right about 8 feet high.
Definitely 'B' or even centered right above the garage door.

I'd also put one on the porch through the wall into the garage. Most likely rotated 90 degrees so the vertical dimension is the larger part of the image (rotate the image in the camera's software).

Main choice would be whether to make a bigger hole in the wall or a smaller one and use a junction box.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also do yourself a favor and buy a yard sign for a major alarm system company on ebay.

ohhgourami

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the help! I'll go through the wall then.

I've planned 4 cameras for the front of the house. Left, center, and right of the garage door with the center one being an overview cam. Left and right are aimed mainly at the mailboxes and street. One will be by my front door at eye level using a mini dome starlight.

I also own the house across the street which has a similar setup with the L/R cameras pointed at the sidewalk and street.

If there's any other advice, I'd love to hear it.