Mounting Cameras on street light in front of House

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got another camera project for my house. I'd like to put some cameras on a light pole that is in front of my house. A neighbor has some cameras mounted on the light pole in front of his house but spiders make homes right in front of the lens (bullet cameras). I've got dome cameras all over and around my house and have no spider issues. What/how would one suggest mounting dome cameras on the pole? I'd prefer to have some type of bracket that could mount the units horizontally vs vertically b/c of rain and sunlight. I'd be great to have cameras that could pick up license plates (i know that is another animal all together). Any suggestions?

FYI - I'm going to go ahead and buy a new NVR for this project and start upgrading my other cameras as time/$ is available. So if there is a new NVR that has some cool technology that is new I'd be interested in learning about it.

For the worry warts that are going to say I'm not allowed to put cameras on the poles, our community paid for the upgraded light poles and we've got permission to put cameras on them. They actually want the cameras on the poles b/c it's a crime deterrent.

Look forward to the advice!
Mik

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Put the camera on the little flag man :)...
Since you mentioned spider webs I find that cameras with a separate IR led like the 2332 turret are more resistant to them.
As far as license plates there are several threads with info on this..daytime is easy, its the IR reflection at night that causes problems...if you want to capture plates at night you really need to dedicate a camera for this...
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?2242-License-Plates-at-Night&highlight=plate
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2322-Is-There-a-Cam-That-Will-Read-License-Plates-at-30-Yards-at-Night?highlight=exposure
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1348-Any-way-to-get-3mp-12mm-camera-capture-license-Plates&highlight=read+license

As far as mounting, you can use one of these types of clamps..
https://www.google.com/search?q=mounting+cctv+camera+to+pole+clamp&rlz=1C1GGGE___US509US509&es_sm=93&biw=1536&bih=854&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=AXmFVfbVMYHnsAStr4HQCQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg
if you want to keep the camera vertical, there is a wall mount that you can use as depicted in the datasheet here
http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2013101905391080103.pdf

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Mik-

Are you planning on going hardwire (my reccomendation) or WiFi (beware)? With the weather in Texas being so extreme, I'd suggest using a quality (sold copper core) outside plant cable.. I'd also suggest if you can spare the lawn, do a cable in a conduit instead of a direct burial cable.. it will make your cable last much longer as well. We're you planning on doing a 24x7 record or just on motion? How many total cameras were you planning on driving?

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fenderman, thanks for the advice. I really like the hikvision vertical mount option you sent. Great idea. I'll do some reading on the license plate info. I've bought a dahua NVR running 4 cameras and it seems to be slow when i look back at previously recorded items. I'm curious if it's a processor issue or something else. I've bought the blue 6 TB HD so I know it's not the HD.

Cork - I'm not going to do the wifi, can't get that to work (ip is hard enough for me). As for the cable, i'm going to put 4 cat6 lines in conduit and run only 3 cameras. The 4th is for the Rick Perry whoops which happens to me. As for the record, I'm going to do a 5 fps record 24/7 and when there is motion do 30 fps record.

As for the NVR that is going to run this, I'd like to run another 7 or 8 cameras on it as well.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll send a pic of the cameras down the street once i go by.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@mik, if you want to see that wallmount with the camera..check out this video..jump to 1:30

Last edited by a moderator:

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like hikvision a bit better due to the mounts that are available. You going to have room for 3 cameras on that pole?

I would just buy a dedicated camera pole

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I like hikvision a bit better due to the mounts that are available. You going to have room for 3 cameras on that pole?

I would just buy a dedicated camera pole
Im going to mount 2 cameras. Don't see the need of 3. I like Dahua and but have no experience with hikvision. Which ever one that has the most efficient/ fast nvr for searching videos is what I'm looking for.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've used both. I think hikvision is easier to use and the cameras seem to have more mounting options and styles.

- - - Updated - - -

Like to add I don't see much of a difference in speed between the two nvrs

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks great! Really makes a statement that someone is watching...

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is a very professional installation and looks good IMHO.

View from the mounted TV looks good too. What is the specifics to your setup running to the TV? From the DVR via HDMI?

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, from nvr to TV via hdmi. Thanks for the compliments and thanks to vector18 for the help!

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow you weren't kidding. That setup looks really bad ass. To get people so quickly is amazing and also amazing how stupid they are as those cameras are seriously visible.

Brian Bain

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If they were smart they'd probably have a job.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW - the lawns in that neighborhood look great.

and the install looks awesome.

Reactions: mik