Mounting exterior cameras w/o soffits

freshcoast

n3wb
Reaction score
Common mounting locations seem to be on the soffit panels. I have a single level ranch with exposed eaves and no soffits. What's the best way to mount cameras in this scenario? Should I use a junction box mounted to the rafters, or mount the cameras directly to the siding instead? The height around the perimeter varies from about 8.5 ft. to 9.5 ft. I wouldn't be able to fish wire through the wall, but I can run it through the blocking into the attic.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Freshcoast,

Probably a good idea to test camera location options at this time to determine which locations give you the best angles / views and then determine the best wiring option.

After watching a video of someone cutting a cat5e/cat6 line and stealing a camera - I've become a big fan of 1/2" EMT, and after installing my own cameras and needing a nice place for the wiring connections I have become a big fan of junction boxes. With your setup I would be considering those options with either a wall mount or mounting close to the edge of your roofs eave ( want to avoid IR reflection back to the camera )