Mounting this cam is driving me nuts.

Bob Schulz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is my PTZ cam temporarily mounted.
IMG_9013.jpg

I want to mount this near the peak of my 4/12 roof. There just doesnt seem to be a way I can come up with to do this.. Any and all help deeply appreciated

IMG_9016.jpg

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Pole mount to roof - check your cam's manufacturer for the appropriate pole mount.
One example from Dahua

Bob Schulz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Pole mount to roof - check your cam's manufacturer for the appropriate pole mount.
One example from Dahua
It is a dahua cam and I do have a pole mount. Just today I got a roof J pole mount but I cant use the pole mount on it. J poles at most are 2" dia, the one I got is 1 5/8 dia.. The dahua pole mount is a min of 3 inches

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have a PTZ but have always balked at mounting anything to roof because of possible leakage. I would consider the part of the roof over the eave so there's no interior below it should it leak, water would wind up on the soffit, though.

I'd consider a gable end mount, somewhat like below. It's sturdy, relatively easy to install and no holes in the roof. I'd go with galvanized, zinc-electroplated, then powder-coated; cadmium-plated last choice.

gable_mount.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Schulz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't have a PTZ but have always balked at mounting anything to roof because of possible leakage. I would consider the part of the roof over the eave so there's no interior below it should it leak, water would wind up on the soffit, though.

I'd consider a gable end mount, somewhat like below. It's sturdy, relatively easy to install and no holes in the roof. I'd go with galvanized, then power-coated; cadmium plated last choice.

View attachment 62995

Ive thought about that mount too. My eaves are 1' overhang. Im quite sure I would get some flex.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is a dahua cam and I do have a pole mount. Just today I got a roof J pole mount but I cant use the pole mount on it. J poles at most are 2" dia, the one I got is 1 5/8 dia.. The dahua pole mount is a min of 3 inches
May be possible to replace the mount hose clamps with a smaller diameter clamp.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive thought about that mount too. My eaves are 1' overhang. Im quite sure I would get some flex.
I've mounted some pretty heavy Ubiquiti radios with long yagi antennae from those gable mounts on 1 ft. eaves with no problems.
Unless the fascia, eaves or roof under-layment is either rotten or undersized AND the vertical pole is too tall, I don't see where a 20 lb. cam would be an issue.
BTW, taller verticals can be guyed to add stability and load bearing if required.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wonder what would happen if you had a larger section of galvanized pipe and set it over the upper pipe vent? You'd have to stabilize it and adjust mount for not being vertical.. For my TV antennas I use 1 1/4 galvanized plumbing pipes (threaded) with 2 - 10ft sections. Dug a post hole and put concrete in it. Then attached upper part on fascia with clamp.

Reaction score
Wonder what would happen if you had a larger section of galvanized pipe and set it over the upper pipe vent? You'd have to stabilize it and adjust mount for not being vertical.. For my TV antennas I use 1 1/4 galvanized plumbing pipes (threaded) with 2 - 10ft sections. Dug a post hole and put concrete in it. Then attached upper part on fascia with clamp.
Could you post a picture of the way yours is setup, that would be a lot of help. Thanks for sharing.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Wort case a short, say three foot, tripod used for a TV antenna with an appropriate, but short, mast in it. That does mean holes through the roof which may or may not be attractive to you. The gable end mounts are pretty sturdy so that would probably be the best solution.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a tripod rated for satellite dish's, and a 2" diameter pole.
Purchased smaller stainless straps for the mount.
I've had tripods on my roof for years using the pitch pads, and never had an issue with leaks.

Bob Schulz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is the mount I have so far. I have it flipped so the longer part is the vertical. Problem is it is 1 5/8" and the dahua mount needs at least 2" So right now I am trying to find a 2" extension that slips over this one to give me the diameter and a little more height.
Loony I like yours but for me it would take away from my house appearance.

71-r709d8xL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could you post a picture of the way yours is setup, that would be a lot of help. Thanks for sharing.
TV antenna mount. My brother cut a 2" pipe to set in the ground but believe you could put the 1 1/4" galvanized pipe in the concrete. Might coat it in tar first.

Attachments

Reaction score
TV antenna mount. My brother cut a 2" pipe to set in the ground but believe you could put the 1 1/4" galvanized pipe in the concrete. Might coat it in tar first.
Awsome thanks for the pics. That's a good idea with the cement.

DezertManiac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do you like this camera, I just got an Amcrest PTZ 25x IP2M-858W, really impressed so far but 45x optical zoom, that's on a whole different level.