Moving BI to new PC, everything is going pear-shaped...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm moving from an i7-49xx to an i7-6700 (Dell OptiPlex 3040) that has a clean, up-to-date Win 10 Pro OS. All drivers are current, and device manager shows no errors. Dell's support application updated three drivers, including the BIOS.

After installing the latest full downloaded version of BI (5.4.7.2) and deactivating the key on the original system and transferring it to the new one, I imported the exported .reg file. All cameras populated the new system. But the console was virtually frozen. Only about half the cameras showed live images - and those were at about 1 frame every 3 seconds. The other half didn't update at all. The CPU shows 100% on the console, but only 25%-ish in the task manager (and about 40% of the GPU) The console is updating so slowly that I'm getting "unresponsive, do you want to close or wait" prompts from the OS. Running BI as an app or as a service, and restarting the system (countless times) produce the same results.

Poking around in settings takes FOREVER since it's so lethargic.

I'm running Intel-Beta under HA global settings. And under status/camera, I'm seeing a constant rotation of about 20% of the cameras going red.

I'm getting full gigabit speeds on network tests, so I don't think there is a network issue.

At this point I'm disheartened with the process. Of course, I'm exhausted, and way past my bedtime.

ETA: My original system has 16GB where the new one only has 8. Both use identical memory sticks, so I swapped them. It struck me as odd that the new system was pegging the memory at nearly 100% when running on a single 8GB stick. After swapping, the old system is staying around 50% on that same stick. The new system is increasing in memory usage by about 0.1GB per 10 seconds. It keeps climbing:

1622106583296.png

Thus it would appear something on this new install is causing a runaway memory consumption. Any ideas?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After swapping, the old system is staying around 50% on that same stick. The new system is increasing in memory usage by about 0.1GB per 10 seconds. It keeps climbing:

Thus it would appear something on this new install is causing a runaway memory consumption. Any ideas?
Have you read this? ==>> The Quick Sync Video Memory Leak

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Nope, but that seems to fit the bill. I wonder if that would also cause the freezing and lethargy right from the very start (before memory hits limits). I'll test out with a known good driver and will report back. Ty ..

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Looks like the link for the 6th gen Driver Version 15.45.18.4664 is a bust - Intel's link is no longer valid. But searching on the driver number landed me on an archive here. Giving that a go now.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, that was a dud... Unfortunately, that link is to a newer driver. And setup failed. Any chance someone still has a copy of the 15.45.4664?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Possibly but in the meantime I found this, says it's for your i7-6700 ==>> intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45] Version: 15.45.34.5174 (Latest) Date: 2/5/2021

Interesting. Well, the one that was recommended in the first link you provided is from 2017. I managed to get past the error (turns out if you disable the auto update via gpedit.msc, you also cannot manually update the drivers) and managed to get this one installed:

1622124902340.png

Same time frame as the one in the QS video leak article you linked to. The one you just provided looks to be same vintage but with a 2021... I'll give that a go after testing on this 2017 version.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What's confusing is that the version number shown in the file name is NOT the same as what the setup installs. Here's a screenshot of the file name of the latest link you sent, vs what it's actually installing:

1622125971999.png

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, it's a used system that came from eBay - but it was reset to factory default. That is, I had the initial setup wizard and it appeared to be a clean install. There was no dell sub-folder under programs, so I suspect it was a clean windows install vs. a factory "recovery" partition used to wipe it. In fact. The device manager had three flags about missing drivers when I first booted up. I had to install them separately.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
do a complete clean install using the "microsoft media creation tool" Start from there. Not some old outdated software from dell.
Creating media now. Just last week I did the same thing for my daily driver when I upgraded the main SSD. I deleted the partition, recreated it, formated it, and installed from the medic creation USB. Works so fast and smooth.

I just ASSumed that's what the I was getting when I powered on this new PC and saw the same welcome messaging. But you're right. Starting from a clean slate is the way to go. Thanks for the nudge.

Reaction score
I would like to email it to this forum and have them put it in resources. It took me hours to find it and when I did it was in an archive in France.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That is awesome @JNDATHP. Maybe @fenderman can help with that? I'd love to give it a try. I've been bombarded with life's other events so I haven't gotten back to playing with the new system. I will update here as I do.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is awesome @JNDATHP. Maybe @fenderman can help with that? I'd love to give it a try. I've been bombarded with life's other events so I haven't gotten back to playing with the new system. I will update here as I do.
I dont think you need that driver. I have been using the latest intel drivers for quite some time with no issues.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, not quite sure what did it, but after attempting to import my old pc's BI settings, it worked. No more memory leak, no freezing cameras. It just works. I suspect it was driver related. Right now I'm on what appears to be the most current:

Driver date: 9/5/2020
Version: 27.20.100.8681
SIgner: MS

Other than starting with a clean, blank install, and importing just one camera first - before importing the entire program settings, I really didn't do anything else. It's sitting at about 35% CPU and 45% memory. So I think I'm good. I appreciate all the suggestions.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you doing EVERY optimization in the wiki?

Unless you have a ton of cameras, 35% CPU is high.

A member here is running 50 cameras on the processor you just went from (i7-4970) and is at sub 40% CPU.

Are you using the substream option?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ha, that member is me! Yes, I have 60 now :) And that move from the i7-4790 was to get to the h.265 on the i7 6th gen or newer. In fact, since you and I had done the how-low-can-you-go CPU dance a couple months ago, I've been itching to make that jump.

Interestingly, over the last couple of updates, my CPU on that 4970 has been getting ridiculously high... Often in the high 90s during the day with parents logging in to view remotely. I don't know what caused the sudden and dramatic increase. Though, I was getting regular errors indicating HA not compatible - and BI turning off HA on several cameras. However, even with all set to I2, the CPU never came down.

I have tweaked and massaged every variable and parameter according to that wiki, but getting it back down just wasn't happening. So that gave me the excuse to get the i7-6700. Besides, for $230 on eBay, it was a steal.