Moving Objects have Trails...?

Reaction score
Hi, I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with my setup. Almost all of my recordings have trails following either people or cars. I have posted one of the recordings as well as screenshots of all of my setup. If I missed something please let me know and I'll be happy to send more info/screenshots and thank you so much for any help!

(This is the link for the video)

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with my setup. Almost all of my recordings have trails following either people or cars. I have posted one of the recordings as well as screenshots of all of my setup. If I missed something please let me know and I'll be happy to send more info/screenshots and thank you so much for any help!

(This is the link for the video)

Increase your receive buffer to 10.
You are using a very old version of blue Iris you need to update.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Mathew - you may not realise that your camera and as a consequence the LAN it is connected to and therefore the devices and their data on it are vulnerable to exploitation by the Hikvision backdoor in the firmware of the camera you are posting about.

I strongly suggest that you
:
Redact the screenshot that exposes your DDNS URL - not that doing so will remove the attack surface, the bots will still find it.
Update your NV743 camera(s) to firmware that closes off that vulnerability, version 5.4.41
Implement a VPN solution for your remote access. There are some very good tutorials plus loads of user experience and advice here on the forum for that.
Port forwarding lets the entire internet connect to the camera.

Reaction score
Increase your receive buffer to 10.
You are using a very old version of blue Iris you need to update.
Hi and thanks for your help!
I changed receive buffer to 10 and updated and, as you can see, my cat left a trail once again. :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mathew - you may not realise that your camera and as a consequence the LAN it is connected to and therefore the devices and their data on it are vulnerable to exploitation by the Hikvision backdoor in the firmware of the camera you are posting about.

I strongly suggest that you
:
Redact the screenshot that exposes your DDNS URL - not that doing so will remove the attack surface, the bots will still find it.
Update your NV743 camera(s) to firmware that closes off that vulnerability, version 5.4.41
Implement a VPN solution for your remote access. There are some very good tutorials plus loads of user experience and advice here on the forum for that.
Port forwarding lets the entire internet connect to the camera.
Hey thanks for the advice - I have updated the image. Guess I've still got a lot to learn. I was under the impression that, as long as I wasnt using the default user and password supplied with the camera, and created my own, hard to guess, password I would be fine...? Is that wrong?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that, as long as I wasnt using the default user and password supplied with the camera, and created my own, hard to guess, password I would be fine...? Is that wrong?
Absolutely wrong.
The Hikvision backdoor does not depend on any passwords - it's a vulnerability in the code.
There are lots of vulnerabilities even on the most up to date firmware.
If you give permission, I could harmlessly demonstrate what anyone else on the internet could also do.

Reaction score
Absolutely wrong.
The Hikvision backdoor does not depend on any passwords - it's a vulnerability in the code.
There are lots of vulnerabilities even on the most up to date firmware.
If you give permission, I could harmlessly demonstrate what anyone else on the internet could also do.
You have my permission....gotta admit I'm a little nervous now. I'm checking on the update now...

Reaction score
Don't be - I'm not intending to break it - just making a point, for your benefit, but also for other forum readers.
Check the camera name on the OSD.
Wowww......ok I realllly need your help. I'm looking all over the internet and on google but this firmware is almost impossible to find! Anyway you can point me in the right direction? I'm on the hikvision website, but typing in the model # for the cam (NV743MF-IR) is not bringing up anything....?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The big question is - is the camera running a straight Hikvision OEM firmware with no tricks that would inhibit the stock Hikvision firmware from being installed? If so, the stock Hikvision firmware would work.
I don't have an answer to that question, unless another forum member has gone down that same path.
A good source of Hikvision firmware is here : DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL

But the unknown is - what is the equivalent Hikvision model to yours?

Reaction score
Don't be - I'm not intending to break it - just making a point, for your benefit, but also for other forum readers.
Check the camera name on the OSD.
The big question is - is the camera running a straight Hikvision OEM firmware with no tricks that would inhibit the stock Hikvision firmware from being installed? If so, the stock Hikvision firmware would work.
I don't have an answer to that question, unless another forum member has gone down that same path.
A good source of Hikvision firmware is here : DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL

But the unknown is - what is the equivalent Hikvision model to yours?
How can I find out if its running straight OEM firmware? And I prob should've mentioned this earlier, but my cameras manufacturer is China Netvision ... with, what appears to be the software from hikvision installed? Or maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, if you google my cameras model #, you get this:
Galaxy 3.0MP Outdoor Vandal Proof IR Dome IP Camera NV743MF-IR4
(Galaxy 3.0MP Outdoor Vandal Proof IR Dome IP Camera NV743MF-IR4)

So, does this mean I need to be looking for hikvision firmware or galaxy or ....?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My best guess, from looking at the product info on search results, is that your camera is an OEM version of the R0 series model DS-2CD2132-I
You could get some capability info that might confirm this with these queries:
http://192./168.1.164/Smart/capabilities
and
http://192./168.1.164/System/DeviceInfo

Whilst admitting there is some risk in attempting this, the web GUI Maintenance menu for firmware updating has a reasonable level of validation against the firmware update file being tried. There is no harm done if the update attempt is rejected, it does not do an erase then validate the file, for example.
The DS-2CD2132F-I firmware is here : DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL

Reaction score
My best guess, from looking at the product info on search results, is that your camera is an OEM version of the R0 series model DS-2CD2132-I
You could get some capability info that might confirm this with these queries:
http://192./168.1.164/Smart/capabilities
and
http://192./168.1.164/System/DeviceInfo

Whilst admitting there is some risk in attempting this, the web GUI Maintenance menu for firmware updating has a reasonable level of validation against the firmware update file being tried. There is no harm done if the update attempt is rejected, it does not do an erase then validate the file, for example.
The DS-2CD2132F-I firmware is here : DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL
Thank you soooo much. It worked and I am now on 5.4.45 ..anyway you can check and make sure that the vulnerability is fixed now? Thank you soo much again, I never would've known this if not for you. :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It worked and I am now on 5.4.45
Well, that's really good! Well done indeed.

In practice, 5.4.5 (is that the version you meant?) does appear to have the vulnerability fixed, but 5.4.41 is the 'official' and slightly later version.
anyway you can check and make sure that the vulnerability is fixed now?
That version of firmware will be fine.
Now you just need to do some study on a VPN implementation.

Reaction score
Well, that's really good! Well done indeed.

In practice, 5.4.5 (is that the version you meant?) does appear to have the vulnerability fixed, but 5.4.41 is the 'official' and slightly later version.

That version of firmware will be fine.
Now you just need to do some study on a VPN implementation.
I appologize, yes I meant V5.4.5 build 170123. :) And researching the VPN implementation is exactly what I was doing. I currently have a subscruption VPN through IPVanish, but all I have installed so far is an app that runs on my PC for stuff like torrent downloads. That wont protect my cameras, though, right? I have a Linksys EA8300 and I do see that it allows Virtual Private Network (VPN) tunnels using Internet Protocol Security (IPSec), Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) or Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) to pass through the router. Now I'm just trying to figure out HOW to get IPVANISH to work with it. Gotta admit I feel really overwhelmed. :( I just want my stuff to be secure. Why this difficult? lol Thanks again for your help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The video I posted was recorded after I made the buffer change. What do you mean by "prerecorded video"? Thanks again for your help.
it will not affect video that was recorded before the changes. What EXACT version of blue iris are you running now?