MPEG-2 Stream Not Loading

radar

n3wb
Reaction score
Having trouble getting to the MPEG-2 stream from Blue Iris working in VLC. Entering http://nvr/h264/Cam1/temp.ts as a network stream and it fails. Any other way to test if the MPEG-2 stream is working? The h264 stream (/temp.h264) works fine in VLC. I've searched these forums and the BI help files and am coming up empty except that it should work as I'm doing it.

Here's my setup and what I'm trying to do. I've got a webcam on a remote property and I need to stream it to multiple local players that only support RTMP streams. Apparently Blue Iris doesn't support clients pulling RTMP (only pushing to a server), so I'm trying to transcode the MPEG-2 stream to RTMP using Unreal Media Server. This works if I connect Unreal Media Server to the camera directly (via RTSP) but I've already got Blue Iris streaming the camera (don't want to transfer a second stream over my internet connection) and I have some overlays in BI that I want on the output.

Any advice on getting the MPEG-2 stream in Blue Iris working would be much appreciated. Thanks!

radar

n3wb
Reaction score
I've thought about that too. I'd loose my overlays, but I could live with that. Unreal outputs in UMS (propitiatory), RTMP, and HLS (HTML5/iOS). It can push Windows Media and MPEG-2, but I don't see how you can pull those. Looks like Blue Iris can pull an MPEG-2 stream, but I don't see where it can be pushed to BI.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I'm sure you can have VLC pull the h264 stream and re-publish it in a format that Unreal Media Server can accept, but that sounds very fragile to me.

radar

n3wb
Reaction score
So, back to the original question, has anybody successfully gotten the MPEG-2 stream from Blue Iris to work? What am I missing?