Multiple IP Cameras - Frames dropped on different intern extern ports but single 554 works very good

repxl

n3wb
Reaction score
Cam 1 :
192.168.0.10:1010
RTSP : 554

Cam 2 :
192.168.0.11:1111

Cam 3:
192.168.0.12:1212

I run all cameras locally on my cam pc with ispy ( working great fps 25 - main stream )
now i wanna access my cameras with tinycam on my android phone outside my home with my wan ipv4

so i forwarded :
---------------------------------------------------
Ex. Port : 1010
Intern Port : 1010

Ex. Port : 1111
Intern Port : 1111

Ex.Port : 1212
Intern Port : 1212

then i see on tinycam i have to open also RTSP port so i added :
------------------------------------------------------------
Ex. Port : 554
Intern Port : 554

tested and it worked flawlessly 0 dropped frames and brilliant workflow
now the problem is when i wanna add next ip cameras because you cant have both extern 554 ports on your portforwading
so i removed the 544 port rule and did :

Ex. Port : 10554

Ex. Port : 11554
Ex. Port : 12554
Intern Port: 554

and now i use the ex. ports on my tinycam RTSP PORT but i have frames dropped 50% - 100% it falls out works really bad when i have no direct intern extern port 554.
so please why this happens i tryed to change the rtsp ports of my cameras but it seems to not switch it still listens on 554 also by restarting the camers.
chaning the onvif web port works great i have 1010, 1111 and 1212 you see above.

Please help me asap im trying to fix this for a long time now ...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
First, read this: How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!)

But as to why you are having problems, it is highly unlikely that the port remapping is the cause of dropped frames. If that is actually the case, then you should get a better router or at least update its firmware. It is far more likely that your network connection is just not fast enough. Have you considered how much bandwidth the video streams require, versus the internet upload speed at your camera location, and the download speed from your mobile device? Also if the cameras happen to be connected over wifi, that could be the bottleneck too!

repxl

n3wb
Reaction score
First, read this: How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!)

But as to why you are having problems, it is highly unlikely that the port remapping is the cause of dropped frames. If that is actually the case, then you should get a better router or at least update its firmware. It is far more likely that your network connection is just not fast enough. Have you considered how much bandwidth the video streams require, versus the internet upload speed at your camera location, and the download speed from your mobile device? Also if the cameras happen to be connected over wifi, that could be the bottleneck too!
i like the open vpn idea, i have a cable modem no real router so my options are limited im happy i can forward ports on that shit "unity media connect box".
i got a 150Mbps / 10Mbps connection is this for 3 cheap ip cams sufficient ? i was testing 6fps substeam anyways to not load mutch bandwidh.

it is really interesting that one 554 port directly works so good and changing that port rules adding 3 cams getting me dropped frames and just steams fall out. with 6fps 512 VBR sucking around 60kbps each cam still drops and fall out. i just feeling that this connect shit box is not forwarding like it should.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
10 Mbps should be more than enough for 3 sub streams. It is just really weird that mapping a non-standard external port to 554 internally would make any difference. The camera has no idea the port forwarding is even happening. And it isn't any harder for the router to remap the port than to keep it the same number.

repxl

n3wb
Reaction score
10 Mbps should be more than enough for 3 sub streams. It is just really weird that mapping a non-standard external port to 554 internally would make any difference. The camera has no idea the port forwarding is even happening. And it isn't any harder for the router to remap the port than to keep it the same number.
yeah weird i must say my ISP provider changed me on ip v6 "ds-lite" they call it here and i was angry i could not forward ports anymore so i called them and they switched me back on ip v4 now can do my port forwards again, how do you deal with ipv6 anyways i somewhere read a guy had an expensive dahua not supporting ipv6 crying for a firmware lol does the new cameras come with ipv6 support ? what brand is future proof if i consider renewing my ip cams?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know much about IPv6 honestly, but I am pretty sure most local networks (like inside your home) will remain on IPv4 for the foreseeable future and your router will just do the translation between IPv4 and IPv6 for traffic going out to the internet. So your camera shouldn't actually need IPv6 support.

The reason I think IPv4 will stick around is that IPv4 addressing is much easier to work with because the addresses are shorter.

repxl

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't know much about IPv6 honestly, but I am pretty sure most local networks (like inside your home) will remain on IPv4 for the foreseeable future and your router will just do the translation between IPv4 and IPv6 for traffic going out to the internet. So your camera shouldn't actually need IPv6 support.

The reason I think IPv4 will stick around is that IPv4 addressing is much easier to work with because the addresses are shorter.
yea im curious what the future brings i just know on ipv6 i could not open ports and therefore all my ipv4 network items could not be externally accessed. but you know what i feeling like im the only one
in this century that wanna open some ports haha. i have to look into vpn its sounds for me just a big complicated hassle if i have a modem without a pre build vpn feature so now i have to find out how to make vpn work on my network buy a raspberry and code it and hang it between my modem and my ip cams will this work like that ?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A raspberry pi would work as a VPN server, but if I were you I would buy an Asus router and put the modem in bridge mode.

repxl

n3wb
Reaction score
A raspberry pi would work as a VPN server, but if I were you I would buy an Asus router and put the modem in bridge mode.
Thanks for the tip i will do this, and then i can normally connect to the vpn on my android phone and use the local adresses like i would be direct in my home.

repxl

n3wb
Reaction score
That is right.
you know what is funny, before i was on the "new ipv6" ds-lite configuration from my isp side port forwarding dissapeared for ipv4 as i mentioned and also no bridge mode was possible before
but im fine as i wrote i called them and letting me switch back to the old config with ipv4.

thanks for your time.

one last question to you personally, you have 9k posts im sure you have alot of experience with ip cams.
what ip cam brand would you suggest for me if i decide to add some more cams and not wanna buy some 20 dollar china cam with buggy interface.