Multiple locations under one centralized system

Reaction score
Was wondering if you kind folk here at the forums know a good resource for a newbie looking to help a business with a certain type of IP camera setup.

Currently we're looking to revamp our camera system both on the device and camera side (we use Synology which is a jack of all trades NAS system with really crappy IP Cam features). I'm looking to invest in a system or service (NVR, IP cameras) where we can have multiple NVRs at multiple locations but having those NVRs act as storage units remotely controlled by one centralized system that manages it all (pretty much a central server NVR).

Was wondering if this is possible? How do people usually handle security systems for a business that has multiple locations. Should those security systems be managed on a per location basis or is it better to deploy a centralized management system?

I know there are certain apps that can help a user manage multiple locations, and even software that does that too (FLIR has some software and mobile apps that allows remote management via QR code registration on the cams). Is that good enough?

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with multiple locations but my first thought relates to bandwith. I would think that each location should have its own NVR and local storage and all of the NVRs connected to a VPN using a central management system to gather all of the feeds.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Was wondering if you kind folk here at the forums know a good resource for a newbie looking to help a business with a certain type of IP camera setup.

Currently we're looking to revamp our camera system both on the device and camera side (we use Synology which is a jack of all trades NAS system with really crappy IP Cam features). I'm looking to invest in a system or service (NVR, IP cameras) where we can have multiple NVRs at multiple locations but having those NVRs act as storage units remotely controlled by one centralized system that manages it all (pretty much a central server NVR).

Was wondering if this is possible? How do people usually handle security systems for a business that has multiple locations. Should those security systems be managed on a per location basis or is it better to deploy a centralized management system?

I know there are certain apps that can help a user manage multiple locations, and even software that does that too (FLIR has some software and mobile apps that allows remote management via QR code registration on the cams). Is that good enough?
Most content is stored locally - if you try to stream/monitor/store off site you will run into some serious bandwidth concerns.

Remote Management via QR code is NOTHING special. It is the same thing every system that supports remote managment has however all the QR code does is allow a user to scan it into an application and get the settings via the QR code vs. manually entering them into an application. Systems that advertise easy QR code setup are normally prepackaged box systems, most sub par DIY kits a lot of times.

All remote NVR's can be controlled locally from a different location via VMS software. You can make changes, push settings, monitor ect via the included software or after market software, but again, video storage will most likely need to be local to that cameras location.

Finally - I mean this with the upmost respect, but you are in over your head. Don't put a persons business security in jeopardy because you want to provide some DIY help. You have asked some very basic questions yet are talking about a fairly in depth setup. Again, I don't mean disrespect, however simply reading these forums and asking a few questions won't make you a professional and your talking about mult locations, dozens of cameras, lots of storage, remote management, etc - you really need to leave it to a professional or at least someone with some serious experience.

Last edited:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
each location should have its own NVR and local storage and all of the NVRs connected to a VPN using a central management system to gather all of the feeds.
You are still limited to each locations bandwidth. Just because you launch a vpn tunnel all the data still passes through your provider/local connection and you will still be limited to those transfer speeds. Combine that with mult locations and mult feeds coming back to one location, all video needs to be stored onsite. They can be monitored via VPN and managed (settings, etc) while on VPN, but you are not going to be moving/streaming/recording video offsite even via VPN.

I believe you are just talking about viewing/settings management, but I wanted to make it clear as I wasn't 100% sure based on your "gather all feeds" statement.

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Correct zero..I should have been more clear when I said local storage and then jumped into VPN. Store everything locally and then monitor and manage centrally with the VPN.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ah sorry, I should have clarified a bit more. I do IT at multiple call centers. Currently each center has its own security system that is managed individually. My boss wants to see if there was a centralized system that can manage multiple feeds covering all locations. I do know the need for having an NVR per site to store things locally as I know a continuous stream destroys bandwidths and can cause quite a bit of problems if it were to FTP to a centralized system (I don't even know if that's even possible in the first place as I haven't been able to find an NVR system with the firmware).

Let's make this question a bit simpler. Say I need to have NVRs from multiple locations that VPN to a centralized location just so that centralized location can view live feeds. That should be possible correct? There will be bandwidth issues of course but has anyone here done a system like this before (where configuration and live feeds are managed through a central source)? I am definitely going to store archived feeds locally but I'm not sure where to find guides to setting up systems like this and was hoping this forum could point me in the right direction.

- Also of course I should rely on professionals but first I want to see my options as I am currently learning how these systems work myself. If I can get the right channels to provide information on how setting up these systems would go, that would be a great start (so at least I too would know what's going on when). I might be in over my head but I am definitely willing to at least learn.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Say I need to have NVRs from multiple locations that VPN to a centralized location just so that centralized location can view live feeds.
Yes, you can view all your feeds from a central location via one VMS platform. This is simple, even basic free smart phone VMS software will allow this.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score

dss

Banned
Reaction score
I just did a 18 site system. NVR at each location and owners just log into each NVR for viewing and configuration (rarely needed) Very Simple and cost effective and owners are very happy with the results.

Reaction score
I just did a 18 site system. NVR at each location and owners just log into each NVR for viewing and configuration (rarely needed) Very Simple and cost effective and owners are very happy with the results.
Did you do it through a centralized system or you just gave the owners the logins for each site? I have an owner who wants access to multiple sites within one system (of course separated by multiple site NVRs).

dss

Banned
Reaction score
Software shows each NVR just click and see it. Hope the owner has fiber at each location....Remember it's all about the uplink speed at each site...

You could monitor a camera or two from from each site....and see 10 to 20 sites at one time....

Reaction score
Software shows each NVR just click and see it. Hope the owner has fiber at each location....Remember it's all about the uplink speed at each site...

You could monitor a camera or two from from each site....and see 10 to 20 sites at one time....
That sounds pretty cool, happen to know what solution you went with (IP cam brands, software, vendors)?

dss

Banned
Reaction score
I use Hikvision. I go through 200 cams and 8 NVR's a month when I'm busy but I don't like working everyday. I'm also a distributor.
Been in the Electronics business since 1978. Video Surveillance 50% of my business as I'm heavily into access control, scada, telemetry, wireless, cell phone repeaters and more.

Reaction score
I use Hikvision. I go through 200 cams and 8 NVR's a month when I'm busy but I don't like working everyday. I'm also a distributor.
Been in the Electronics business since 1978. Video Surveillance 50% of my business as I'm heavily into access control, scada, telemetry, wireless, cell phone repeaters and more.
For future reference, can you direct me to a point of contact (you or otherwise) for talks on contractor rates for setting up these systems? My business is also located in CA and I see that one of Hikvision's headquarters are there.

dss

Banned
Reaction score
I use the OEM non branded Hikvision equipment. Full warranty with firmware updates.... just costs less. What is your phone number?