Multiple POE switches vs long wires

TexasTom

n3wb
Reaction score
will be installing 4 more cameras on my qnap system in 2 different outbuildings on property.
I have 4 ports avbl on my current poe switch.

the closest building will need a 125 ft wire to reach location. I want 2 cameras here. so that requires 2 wires at 125 ft.

the second building is another 100 ft or so past the first building, so direct wire would take 200 ft, for 2 camers that's 2 wires at 200 ft.

seems cheaper if I could put another poe switch in first building with 4 ports and just run one main wire to the poe from my house and then shorter wires to the second building.

what about putting a poe sw at both buildings in series that's 3 poe switches in total. would allow future expansion and save some cost over direct wiring

any advise ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
will be installing 4 more cameras on my qnap system in 2 different outbuildings on property.
I have 4 ports avbl on my current poe switch.

the closest building will need a 125 ft wire to reach location. I want 2 cameras here. so that requires 2 wires at 125 ft.

the second building is another 100 ft or so past the first building, so direct wire would take 200 ft, for 2 camers that's 2 wires at 200 ft.

seems cheaper if I could put another poe switch in first building with 4 ports and just run one main wire to the poe from my house and then shorter wires to the second building.

what about putting a poe sw at both buildings in series that's 3 poe switches in total. would allow future expansion and save some cost over direct wiring

any advise ?
either way work fine. That is one of the benefits of network cameras.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

roaoro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I run 6 Poe switches in different parts of the house. Way easier to manage than trying to get all wires to one location. You can also run a wireless bridge between different buildings and use multiple Poe switches at each end.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk