Multiple Streams per camera

JayS_IPCams

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What I mean by my title is. Can BlueIris be setup to take the preview stream (used in a multi camera page view) from a substream on the camera, and when I click on the small view, and go to single camera view, it pull from the camera's main stream?

What I'm trying to accomplish. I love BlueIris, but have an NVR already for most of my cameras... so 12 on an NVR, and i've added a bunch (8) of new ones (starlights) that I use BlueIris to record/manage.

However, I want to be able to view all the camers. So i have setup BlueIris to just view the cameras via the NVR rtsp (disable motion and video recording in BI), so that I can get the wonderful view in UI3 via BI web.

That said...the computer resources it takes up to do this, is still rather large (I've ready and tweeked as per the guides here, which has help a great deal).

I just think that when viewing multiple camers, the viewing box per camera is small, so why use the main HD stream of the camera when a low res one is available and would require less/no processing?

Thanks,

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris only has one person developing it and this just hasn't been a high enough priority for him I guess. I agree that being able to intelligently utilize sub-streams (when available) for motion detection and group views would go a long way toward reducing BI's system requirements.

For now, if you've done all the optimizations and still have a performance problem then your best bet is upgrading the Blue Iris PC. What CPU do you have in it now?

JayS_IPCams

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Blue Iris only has one person developing it and this just hasn't been a high enough priority for him I guess. I agree that being able to intelligently utilize sub-streams (when available) for motion detection and group views would go a long way toward reducing BI's system requirements.

For now, if you've done all the optimizations and still have a performance problem then your best bet is upgrading the Blue Iris PC. What CPU do you have in it now?
I7 8700, 16GB RAM, Barracudda Pro HD, SSD for OS/BI Database. CPU at 50% most of the time now that I've got all streams down to 15FPS.

I find it strange that I don't see a larger CPU drop on View Only streams. The biggest issues seems to be FPS, even when I'm not doing motion/recording. I assume that is because of all the great web views (which i have disabled most, have 4 groups, none with ALL cameras), need to resize all the cameras to make the collage/group view work...

I think I'll get a second machine to do the recording of views that I want 20+ FPS and Higher Resolution and on that machine use the main stream, and on my "viewing" machine, I just use the substreams.

Would be nice to do on one computer though.

BI is a fantastic piece of software for the price, so not really complaining! :)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using hardware acceleration in blue iris. If so are you using the correct drivers. Look at quick sync in the WIKI.

Also read optimizing cpu in the wiki.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That computer should run that load without breaking a sweat.
Have you excluded all BI folders in your antivirus?
Have you done a clean install of Windows by using the MS Media Creation tool?
What bitrate do you have set in the cameras?

JayS_IPCams

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That computer should run that load without breaking a sweat.
Have you excluded all BI folders in your antivirus?
Have you done a clean install of Windows by using the MS Media Creation tool?
What bitrate do you have set in the cameras?
I have hardware acceleration on, and with the drivers as per the wiki.
I have setup all cameras to 15 FPS, usually 4k-6k bps bitrate depending on resolution... 1080p is at 4096bps, higher resolutions are at 6144ish bps.
I found a couple cameras at 20FPS and fixed. Have the CPU back down to 35-50% seems to sit in the 40's most of the time I check now... with 75% memory use (of 16GB).

Windows 10 Pro fresh install NOTHING else on it except BI. Full up to date Windows 10, then installed the recommended intel video drivers as per wiki.
Now at 31 cameras. 22 of which are just views from separate NVR so no motion detection etc, so only 9 cameras are motion/recording.