Multiple wireless cameras pushing images to an FTP instance

Mattist

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm working on a wireless solution that counts people coming in and out of a few separate locations. The setup so far is quite simple - an IP camera pushes a video when it detects movement to a live FTP instance where we process it. The people - counting algorithm is working well however we're having trouble picking the right wireless camera that will be reliable enough for the job. We need a simple 1080 p device that can cope with 3-5 motion detects per hour and that won't crash every few hours (or days in the best case). So far we've tested 4 separate cameras and are not happy with the results (returned 3 of them).

Besides fixing the reliability issue, we'd love to allow for at least the following two features in our setup:
1. In case the wifi is down for whatever reason the camera keeps trying to upload to the FTP instance until it succeeds. I assume the camera needs to use local SD storage as a buffer.
2. We are made aware of downtimes (e.g. the camera sends a ping every minute or so)

I'd strongly appreciate your advise and suggestions!

Thanks in advance,
Matt