Must...... Have..... More.....

Reaction score
This incident and video have showed to me the glaring issues at my front door--- and I think this kid gets it.
This was obviously a middle-schooler friend of my daughter playing a not-so-funny prank. When I lived in California, criminals would use a knock & run or ding-dong-ditch to "test" the house and see what the response is, so this still freaked me out a bit.

The camera is an $85 4mp one from Andy... a Loryta IPC-T2431T-AS 4MP --- I know-- you get what you pay for. LOL. I have adjusted and messed with settings to try to strike a balance between shutter speed and blur - gain - noise. Not sure about the audio being picked up-- possibly neighbors tv. The mic on this is Really sensitive.

AFTER this little turd stopped by, I turned on the light by the front door and went to a faster shutter speed just a bit...
If I go to 1/60th it is all VERY dark. 1/100th is unusable.
1592928713770.png

Aside from the lighting woes of the sensor in this cheap cam, the mount location, in the soffit, is about 7'6" above the landing of the steps--- but that means it is about 10 feet above the close part of the driveway and that small sidewalk to the steps. It seems that to get a face, I need something much lower than that.

1592929209043.png

I was heeding advice to avoid all doorbell cams, but they have some clear advantages. hmmmmm

Thoughts, Opinions, Expert advice, Amateur advice, and off-topic commentary are all welcome. ;)

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Drop a line down through the corner post of the siding. You can use a siding wedge to mount a camera about where that round, number(?) plaque is, just above or just below, perhaps even on the front of the house to avoid obstructing full opening of the door. Ideally, you'd use a second one on the right side of the door to catch those turning away from the left camera to avoid recognition. A doorbell camera would be my last option unless and until someone comes out with one that's actually worth buying and less than $700.

I have that same storm door!

Reaction score
Drop a line down through the corner post of the siding. You can use a siding wedge to mount a camera about where that round, number(?) plaque is, just above or just below, perhaps even on the front of the house to avoid obstructing full opening of the door. Ideally, you'd use a second one on the right side of the door to catch those turning away from the left camera to avoid recognition. A doorbell camera would be my last option unless and until someone comes out with one that's actually worth buying and less than $700.

I have that same storm door!
Yes--- I can definitely run a line inside that corner cover.

The oval sign, ironically....
1592931422539.png

LOL... :lol::lmao::rofl:

More cameras...More cameras...

I even have one in the ground looking up for the perp that has the hoodie on looking down LOL. Stick one on your first post looking up for when they start down the steps LOL
LOL... I have an old bullet that could mount right to the 2x4 rail.... or somewhere there...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you use IR on your current cam, and not force it to color, it's salvageable.
An additional $20 IR illumination would also help greatly.

mindreader.... ;)

my install concern is also about height though.... I may test my old spare bullet in this location....

View attachment 64461
would also help greatly.

Reaction score
So I ran a cable outside to temporarily run a cam in that spot -- it's about 15 feet from where my switch sits in the basement utility room.
This is a Dahua 1.3mp bullet camera from 2012 or 2013

1592964469886.png

meh... probably not that helpful, but will leave it sit there for a while

I may move it to this post just to get it up 6~12 inches higher. BUT-- if I do that, the connection will be exposed to the elements-- and just exposed period --- vulnerable to vandalism or having the cable cut... this cam does not have the round rj45 connector with the weatherproof cap-- old Square style.

1592965813132.png

This is just a test for a few days--- but do any of you have cams similarly mounted??

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Early on I was worried about exposed cams and wires and tried to hide, but as @looney2ns said, the majority of people are oblivious to them or signs anyway. And if they cut the wire, well they are close enough to the camera that you got a shot of them and you have another cam that gets them anyway.

I have had cameras for over 12 years and the majority of my neighbors have no idea and never noticed them. It wasn't until we had a night of car break-ins and my footage was used by the police that my neighbors realized I had them. That was almost a year ago and they have forgot I have them already. They are busy living their life.

I now figure it someone up to no good is looking for cams, they see them and move to the next house. The criminal didn't come up to my house because he saw them and that was how I got the money shot.

What about placing it under your step so you see them from below and catching them when they look down at the step? Like at the white dot here or one of your other steps? Have it far enough back it doesn't get hit every time you walk up, but will catch the persons face and they may not even see it, especially if you paint it brown. Or maybe in the landscaping just to the left?

1592966795922.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
IR mode from that cam above the door. I was able to run the shutter up to 1/100th like this. The blast of light in the lower left is IR from the little bullet I mounted temporarily...

1592972820471.png

Looks a little dark, but IR is going to work a LOT better than forcing color where I could only run 1/30th shutter speed.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with B/W though it is impossible to tell clothing color or skin color of the person.

But it is a balance. If you cannot get good color video, B/W is better than nothing.

Personally, having all the outside lights on to get a color image is worth it to me. It appears you have enough if you have your lights on. And all the lights on might deter someone as well.

Reaction score
The problem with B/W though it is impossible to tell clothing color or skin color of the person.

But it is a balance. If you cannot get good color video, B/W is better than nothing.

Personally, having all the outside lights on to get a color image is worth it to me. It appears you have enough if you have your lights on. And all the lights on might deter someone as well.
that and.... it's summertime.... and that means tons of false triggers from bugs....