MV-22B Osprey Crash

Reaction score
They were starting to bring them into the service when I retired. I am very thankful I never had to ride in one, as I never liked them. They seemed to me, far to small for the foot print they give off. Just everything about them screamed 'You will build me because our politicians WANT IT in their states!' instead of what was best for the Corps. I have seen two types of aircraft crashes...this and a Harrier at 29 Palms (29 stumps...). Never a pleasant thing. I just feel they could have done so much more and better with an updated/newer version of the 46 or 53's. But what do I know...just my opinion. They haven't released the status of the crew members yet, which is strange. I truly hope they are OK.

1654774373968.png
1654774403616.png

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Swiveling engines, folding rotor blades, rube goldberg engine coupling, two flight modes. What could possibly go wrong? I don't even trust helicopters. The best definition I've heard was on a TV show a long time ago: A helicopter is 10,000 parts flying in formation.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Latest I have seen is that all 5 on board have died. The Glamis area is a part of the desert that I explore. Glamis itself has a lot of sand dunes and is very popular with ATV's and sand buggies. By the way, back around 1970 I stopped at Glamis for gasoline and it had the old style pump that you had to pump the gas up into a glass 10 gallon container and then let gravity take over and let it flow into your gas tank.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is very unfortunate and sad. My prayers go out for those killed and to their families.

That being said, I've always been leery of such a sensitive, fly-by-wire aircraft, even as they have evolved and became more dependable, they've also become more complex. One little glitch, software or hardware, can have disastrous results. Even a great pilot can't take over to bypass them and use their skills to overcome such defects or malfunctions and affect the outcome positively, it seems.

Accidents and incidents involving the V-22 Osprey

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was active duty during its creation, floundering, numerous Marine deaths, then like Lazarus, it was revived...all because of contracts in certain states meant jobs and votes for certain politicians. The brass was pretty much forced to accept it, do or die mentality. Well, we see where it is. I never liked it, I never saw a reason or purpose for it that our mission didn't already have aircraft (granted about as old as I am or close) that could still do the MARINES MISSION. Yes, we could have invested that money into something else much, much better, safer and I am damn well sure, less expensive. But just as Eisenhower said, 'Beware the industrial complex' Some day I will talk about me getting invited to sit on a board at Quantico VA when they were brainstorming the M-4 and it the results form field trials were in. I was basically told to shut my mouth as this is what the COMMANDANT WANTED, AS WELL AS THE POLITICIANS. End of story. But that is for another day.....

'In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.'
Dwight D. Eisenhower January 17, 1961

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Three of those buzzed my house about a month ago and I am still amazed they have those in service. Incredible machine, but way too many moving parts and opportunities for disaster for my liking.

Do they even adjust them in flight now, or do they keep as helicopter for whole flight or airplane for whole flight?

Reaction score
Three of those buzzed my house about a month ago and I am still amazed they have those in service. Incredible machine, but way too many moving parts and opportunities for disaster for my liking.

Do they even adjust them in flight now, or do they keep as helicopter for whole flight or airplane for whole flight?
They adjust, thats why they are called 'tilt' rotors. I think this is what you were asking.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^Yep, my question is do they still have it tilt in flight, say takeoff as a helicopter and tilt them in flight to fly like an airplane, or will they keep it in one flight mode now? My understanding is the transition is where the problems have occurred.

When they buzzed my house, they were in helicopter mode.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Can the Osprey land like a conventional airplane, fixed wing, flight mode? Those props look like they'd hit the ground in airplane mode.

Transition is always tricky because you need enough forward speed to provide "rotation", lift, speed to support the fixed wing configuration flight. It is the most dangerous part of the flight and the Harrier Jump Jet has similar problems but they seem to have worked out a pretty good system for the Harrier.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score

I see them every now and then above my house. I live close to the Los Alamitos Joint Air Base.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's what I thought. Interesting that they rotate the props while at an air speed more than sufficient to provide enough lift to keep it aloft. Sort of an insurance policy I guess. As long as everything works right mechanically it's an interesting system. Dependability is the key though.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Why don't they put in a CAPS System such as found in civilian aircraft?

OK useless below 500ft although no doubt with miltary develoment and funding the whole system for both civilian and military can get a lot better.

00Buck

Known around here
Reaction score
Back in 2009 We were doing grounding testing at the airfield at Camp Atterbury and the airfield commander gave me permission to take some pictures.
About 3 weeks later I learned they were training for a mission in Afghanistan.

Attachments