My BI custom server build

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is what I got for my first BI server. I ordered all parts and did the assembly myself, this is how it looked
1) seasonic 350w psu

enough for such hardware, it's 80 plus gold certified 80 Plus - Wikipedia

2) motherboard

intel b250 chipset for i7 7700 kaby lake

3) lian li case with lots of space especially for hard drives

4) standard intel cpu coolin - shitty one

5) cpu cooling - better one

6) standard included thremal grease- shitty one

7) revoltec thremal grease

8) i7 7700 - 65W TDP

9) cpu inside a socket - triangles within a red circle have to match

10) ram

11) ssd for windows and blueiris install

12) 2 x 4tb seagate skyhawk drives, I know they are not recommended here (WD Purple is the one) but I took the risk :)

13) Bière Blanche :)

I installed Windows 10 x64 with all the updates and BlueIris. I put two skyhawkes in stripped volume. Now I need to buy license and play with BlueIris.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is what I got for my first BI server. I ordered all parts and did the assembly myself, this is how it looked
1) seasonic 350w psu

enough for such hardware, it's 80 plus gold certified 80 Plus - Wikipedia

2) motherboard

intel b250 chipset for i7 7700 kaby lake

3) lian li case with lots of space especially for hard drives

4) standard intel cpu coolin - shitty one

5) cpu cooling - better one

6) standard included thremal grease- shitty one

7) revoltec thremal grease

8) i7 7700 - 65W TDP

9) cpu inside a socket - triangles within a red circle have to match

10) ram

11) ssd for windows and blueiris install

12) 2 x 4tb seagate skyhawk drives, I know they are not recommended here (WD Purple is the one) but I took the risk :)

13) Bière Blanche :)

I installed Windows 10 x64 with all the updates and BlueIris. I put two skyhawkes in stripped volume. Now I need to buy license and play with BlueIris.
Video doesn't even need 7200 RPM let alone a striped raid, cool box though.

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Point taken, but money isn't all that matters, I had lots of fun building this box. What was also important for me was low-wattage of this box.
There is also a factor of prices here in Poland, for instance i7 7700 price on amazon.com is 313$
Amazon.com: Intel Core i7-7700 Desktop Processor 8M Cache, up to 4.20GHz7th Generation (BX80677I77700): Computers & Accessories

I paid here 359$. We have shitty exchange rate pln/usd. Another example - MacBook Air in states costs 1199$ (MacBook Air) and here it costs 1450$ (MacBook Air)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need to set up BI, at the moment I only have one PTZ camera, still have no time to order more from Andy. I will make a measurement this week and post some figures.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you need a GPU or is Intel HD graphics good enough?
Intel HD with quicksync is PREFERRED. This is because blue iris can utilize quicksync for hardware acceleration. You need to enable it in the settings. If you have a discrete card, remove it.

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Intel HD with quicksync is PREFERRED. This is because blue iris can utilize quicksync for hardware acceleration. You need to enable it in the settings. If you have a discrete card, remove it.
I'm building a new comp i7 7700k 32gb memory on the h270n board so I should be good with the quicksync right? Didn't order graphics card yet so I won't get one.