My experience with a Ryzen 5600g APU

sidubutt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share my experience using a Ryzen 5600g APU for a Blue Iris system. The short answer is, it's great.

Previously I had tried a 6700k system, a 7700k system, and an older i7-4800mq based laptop. Performance with all of these systems was less than perfect, but good enough that I could use them until the APU was released. Regardless of stream settings, using sub streams, various methods of HW acceleration, I would still get frame drops, stuttering, low fps in UI3 and in the full BI client. Now that's all gone. I exported my existing configuration, turned off sub streams, and it's all butter smooth without any problems. All cameras are also running full bitrate/fps(15), CPU usage is 15-20%. Power draw is 30-40w.

Simple system specs are:
5600g apu
mini itx b550 motherboard
16gb 14-14-14-34 DDR4 3200

Cams:
1x IPC-T2431T-AS
1x Loryta SD1A404XB-GNR
4x IPC-T5442TM-AS

Regards:
DescargarN

Last edited:

AlexPhilip

n3wb
Reaction score
I still feel this whole '8 cores is pointless for gaming' thing is just the new 'hyperthreading/i7 is pointless for gaming' talking point all over again. Given how long people tend to keep their CPU's around these days, I think there's decent reason to consider the 'future proofing' aspect of a new CPU purchase. Especially since the consoles dont have piss poor CPU's this time around...

Last edited:
Reaction score
To be honest I’m happy to hear it wasn’t a disaster out choice, but I think as the number of cameras grow (and you don’t have the benefit of hardware acceleration), you may hit limits of that CPU eventually.

It would be nice to have the system wattage draw for a reference point, and have this data point on the Blue Iris statistics, in case they ever become available in the secondhand market. I just think unless BI adds support for AMD APU hardware acceleration you might eventually bottleneck, only time (and lots more cameras) will tell.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It would be nice to have the system wattage draw for a reference point, and have this data point on the Blue Iris statistics.
+1 for this feature, please. It's great that we get to see CPU% load on so many systems, but it would be really helpful to see more stats on what that translates to in watts from the wall, and how it scales across various processors. Obviously, this would need to be an optional column, as many folks wouldn't have that info readily available (without owning a kill-a-watt meter or similar).

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
To be honest I’m happy to hear it wasn’t a disaster out choice, but I think as the number of cameras grow (and you don’t have the benefit of hardware acceleration), you may hit limits of that CPU eventually.

It would be nice to have the system wattage draw for a reference point, and have this data point on the Blue Iris statistics, in case they ever become available in the secondhand market. I just think unless BI adds support for AMD APU hardware acceleration you might eventually bottleneck, only time (and lots more cameras) will tell.

TBH I think you're doing that CPU a diservice. In Benchmarks it scores above an Intel 11,600K. I don't see a breakdown betwen single thread and multicore for the performance so can't compare on single thread alone. But it's far from low end in performance. That shouldn't date quickly at all given many multi-camera systems on here are running on chips 5 or 6 generations behind the 11,600.

The only question would be if running deepstack in GPU mode, whether the built in GPU is powerful enough.