My Hikvision cameras are hAckEd ..

stevie-bg

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I have Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I IP cameras with static adresses to be seen by everyone around the world, and all were hacked last month and did not work. As long as we reset them and release after 1 minute they do not work again. We put an IP filter so working but only seeing 1 or 2 people. Any ideas ?

stevie-bg

n3wb
Reaction score
My firmware is latest version. A friend told me to put a router first before the camera. I do not know.

stevie-bg

n3wb
Reaction score
Nо, it looks all the same. Only the camera disappears. I changed the ports, but that still does not help. 5 cameras currently do not work, although I chose the best on the market.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nо, it looks all the same. Only the camera disappears. I changed the ports, but that still does not help. 5 cameras currently do not work, although I chose the best on the market.
First you didnt choose the best on the market...second they got hacked because you didnt properly set them up..

stevie-bg

n3wb
Reaction score
"..second they got hacked because you didnt properly set them up.."

That's exactly why I want help here.

BertCCTV

n3wb
Reaction score
"..second they got hacked because you didnt properly set them up.."

That's exactly why I want help here.
I don't know if the info that's been spreading on the dark web about these attacks is accurate, but if it is then for the Hikvisions it can only be one of three things: Common password used on some common web port, vulnerable to the Montecrypto thing, or telnet exposed. If none of the three apply to you then your camera reset problem is due to something else. Sure you don't have UPnP on your router forwarding the camera on some pretty commonly used port etc? I doubt changing IPs will help much.

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It's most likely due to read through thread Hikvision camera resets ITSELF to factory default twice! and Full Disclosure: Access control bypass in Hikvision IP Cameras

It happened to two of my cameras that were port forwarded around September 23rd. I knew there were risks to making cameras remotely accessible through port forwarding, but hadn't had any issue after years of doing it until the backdoor vulnerability came out. Since mine are Chinese PTZ cameras (Imporx brand) that have Hikvision modules rather than Hikvsion from head to toe, I don't think I will have an easy time obtaining firmware that addresses the vulnerability. I've now gone to using Blue Iris Blue Iris - Video Security Software for the cameras which can be setup for remote viewing through an Android app Blue Iris - Android Apps on Google Play

Changing your IP address will most likely do nothing, there is most likely a botnet, someone running scripts that scans millions of IP addresses and looks for the vulnerability and resets them in mass. Both my cameras were in completely different locations, hours away from each other on unrelated Internet service providers. Both of them got factory reset within days of each other. I brought one back up, and it reset itself within about day and a half. After I searched forums and found out about the exploit, turned off port forwarding and it hasn't happened since. The cameras had been running fine since 2014 and to my knowledge had never been hacked previously. I do miss being able to access them directly remotely, but Blue Iris does a pretty good job and is highly configurable. Blue Iris can be setup for HTTPS via stunnel.

It's obviously possible that someone discovers and discloses a vulnerability in Blue Iris, although since they update frequently, it should be addressed promptly. As others suggested, the most prudent method is to only access through VPN, although that makes things a bit more complicated when you just simply want to open up an app on your phone to quickly view remotely.

Last edited:

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It's most likely due to read through thread Hikvision camera resets ITSELF to factory default twice! and Full Disclosure: Access control bypass in Hikvision IP Cameras

It happened to two of my cameras that were port forwarded around September 23rd. I knew there were risks to making cameras remotely accessible through port forwarding, but hadn't had any issue after years of doing it until the backdoor vulnerability came out. Since mine are Chinese PTZ cameras (Imporx brand) that have Hikvision modules rather than Hikvsion from head to toe, I don't think I will have an easy time obtaining firmware that addresses the vulnerability. I've now gone to using Blue Iris Blue Iris - Video Security Software for the cameras which can be setup for remote viewing through an Android app Blue Iris - Android Apps on Google Play

Changing your IP address will most likely do nothing, there is most likely a botnet, someone running scripts that scans millions of IP addresses and looks for the vulnerability and resets them in mass. Both my cameras were in completely different locations, hours away from each other on unrelated Internet service providers. Both of them got factory reset within days of each other. I brought one back up, and it reset itself within about day and a half. After I searched forums and found out about the exploit, turned off port forwarding and it hasn't happened since. The cameras had been running fine since 2014 and to my knowledge had never been hacked previously. I do miss being able to access them directly remotely, but Blue Iris does a pretty good job and is highly configurable. Blue Iris can be setup for HTTPS via stunnel.

It's obviously possible that someone discovers and discloses a vulnerability in Blue Iris, although since they update frequently, it should be addressed promptly. As others suggested, the most prudent method is to only access through VPN, although that makes things a bit more complicated when you just simply want to open up an app on your phone to quickly view remotely.
Although according to Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd. with your DS-2CD2042WD-I running V5.4.5 build 170124, you shouldn't be vulnerable that vulnerability since it says it was resolved in version V5.4.41 build 170309 and later.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm happy with my Hiks but let me in on what's the best 4mp IP cams on the market currently? Apples with Apples?
You are conflating the best 4mp on the market vs best on the market...either way there are too many to list, but they are you of your price range...You can start with Axis or avigilon...makes we laugh when someone thinks that hikvision is best on the market when discussing the security of the camera.

Jeroen68

n3wb
Reaction score
makes we laugh when someone thinks that hikvision is best on the market when discussing the security of the camera.
You find Humor in our different levels of expertise. I laugh at farts.

You are conflating the best 4mp on the market vs best on the market..
My flatulence was genuine and the question really simple; The best 4mp today.

but they are you of your price range
You are sure about this Fenderman?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You find Humor in our different levels of expertise. I laugh at farts.

My flatulence was genuine and the question really simple; The best 4mp today.

You are sure about this Fenderman?
That is like asking what the best kia is today...4mp is not an optimal sensor in any application...we can certainly agree that its not a hikvision brand and not a bullet design...
and yes i am 100 percent certain it is out of your reach otherwise you would never have purchased hikvision...you again have completely missed the point, i see a lot of folks like you here with cognitive deficiencies. Op is surprised that his cameras were hacked despite buying the best on the market - my point is setting aside the image quality, hikvision has one of the worst security records on the market...hell their mobile app infected users phones....

Last edited: