My ISP does not allow VPN - what alternative is available?

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all
posted this already, but in the wrong forum perhaps. My ISP (i am not USA based) will not facilitate a VPN. I am forced to use their own modem/router, which is almost completely locked down.

Is there any alternative to allow me view my cameras from any connection outside my LAN? Ideally I would have an APP on my android phone that would allow my view a live stream.

I have Dahua cams and NVR, if that is of any relevance.

Thanks

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@buckfast Does you ISP block all ports for incoming traffic? If not, there is still a chance you can still VPN into your home network on an unblocked port.

What you will want to check is if the ISP modem/router allows you to forward a port from their equipment to your router.

That is what I do on my side. I have the ISP modem/router running at my home, but behind their equipment, I have my own router that protects my home network. As long as you can configure port forwarding from ISP router to your own router for VPN incoming access, it is doable.

I have an ASUS router. These routers have an easy UI for configuring VPN.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey all
posted this already, but in the wrong forum perhaps. My ISP (i am not USA based) will not facilitate a VPN. I am forced to use their own modem/router, which is almost completely locked down.

Is there any alternative to allow me view my cameras from any connection outside my LAN? Ideally I would have an APP on my android phone that would allow my view a live stream.

I have Dahua cams and NVR, if that is of any relevance.

Thanks
I run open VPN in a virtual appliance. Easy enough if you are already running a Hyper-V/VMware hypervisor.

Virtual Appliances

Short of that, I would think about switching ISP's if possible.

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks guys. I think I have made progress. My ISP provided modem/router has a DMZ option. I have put the ip address of my own 3rd party router into the DMZ setting of the ISPs router. Now I have a camera connected to my own router.

When I enter the ip address of that camera in my browser, while connected to my home wifi, success!!!

Now, I assume this current setup is quite dangerous in terms of security?

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
thanks guys. I think I have made progress. My ISP provided modem/router has a DMZ option. I have put the ip address of my own 3rd party router into the DMZ setting of the ISPs router. Now I have a camera connected to my own router.

When I enter the ip address of that camera in my browser, while connected to my home wifi, success!!!

It's not a security problem if you've configured router to allow access to cameras via VPN only. If you are allowing access to camera URL without VPN, then you are depending on camera firmware to protect from security breaches.

As some of our peers have mentioned in other threads, do you trust camera manufacturers to do the right thing with respect to security?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score

Not clear how you have the other internal router set up. Assuming no VPN or other restrictions and it's just siting in the DMZ with the cam port forwarded through it, then yes. If you're able to hit the cam from the Internet just by IP/port then anyone else can too. When your IP is scanned, the forwarded port(s) will show up in the same way that they would if they were forwarded on your primary router. You don't really gain anything as far as security with the DMZ. Mostly it just makes it easier to expose things vs setting up port forwarding, triggers, etc.

Now if you can set up a VPN server on that router, then you'll be in better shape.