My low tech way to get local temperature on cams:

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Since WU went down, and I'm not a programmer I came up with a low-tech way to have my backyard's temp displayed in any of my BI cams (I also like that it's the actual temp in my backyard, not a weather station 10 miles away which WU was giving me):

1. Used one of those Accurite temp stations like this:
accurite.jpg

2. Dug up an old spare cam and pointed it at the display which I just put on a shelf out of the way.

3. Added that cam to BI

4. In that cam's BI settings under the "Video" tab, I checked off "Area's of interest (AOI)" and cropped just the outside temp display to show.

5. Staying in my weather cam's settings, under the "Post" tab, I checked the "Post JPEGs" box --- here's a pic of that screen actually... (I set it to update the image every 10 seconds).

IMG_1087.JPG

So now I have a single jpeg of my weather cam being saved to my BI computer in a folder called weather that I just created. This file just gets overwritten every time.

I wasn't sure if BI would update that image so I tested it out by not cropping out the time on the accurite display and YES!! the time updated with each image!!

6. I want back to the "Video" tab and checked the "Enable overlays" box --- clicked on the "Edit" box and then clicked the "Add image..." box and chose the weather.jpg file in my C:\weather directory from earlier and holy cow.... it works!!!

IMG_1090 (1).JPG

I'm just going to go back and re-crop out the Accurite screen to only show the temp now that I see that the picture auto updates in BI!!

Hope this can help someone out.

PS pardon my low res images as my BI computer isn't set up for anything other than BI so I had to take camera photos of the screens.

edit: I quirk I noticed in BI is that when you want to edit your "Area's of Interest", it won't let you re-edit it until you unclick the box, save that setting -- let the cam restart - then go back in and do the edit. No biggie but may hang someone up trying this.

Here's my final view of my "custom" weather overlay

frontptz.20200111_085614189.jpg

Last edited:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Very cool! I did a similar camera-on-a-shelf setup to monitor an electric meter for my servers. Cheap USB webcam hooked to BI takes a snapshot every day at midnight so I can go back and see my daily usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kicker50

n3wb
Reaction score
I noticed WU is down too. Any update on when WU API will be online?

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not a pretty or as much info as the OPs method but...
There is a little app called SiteShoter.
Using the HTML link for a PWS widget it can save the info as a jpg that can then be added to BI.
It can save images at an interval and crop them too if needed.
I gave it a real quick test and it seemed to work fairly well.

Also, I generally do not like or engage in cross-posting, but am going to do so here as it may help some.
(originally posted to BI Tools thread: Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!)

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I noticed WU is down too. Any update on when WU API will be online?
It goes without saying that BIT is now fully functional again using the wunderground station IDs. Mike worked his magic and the latest update fixes whatever broke with the original API scheme. He's even created a way for you to add your own station's API key - if you have your own hardware. You'll still be using the wunderground network as a proxy, but it means BIT is less dependent on using whatever general API/route the program uses by default.