My NVR brings down my local network

Mike18250

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all.
I just bought a Lorex/Flir NVR and IP cameras from Costco. (LNK7108A)
I like the system, it has many features etc, but I have a problem I hope someone can help me with, because I'm not sure if it is a defective machine (firmware or bad NIC), or just my settings.

To resume, if I don't connect a cable from the NVR to my modem, everything works fine for several days. Cameras communicate well, recording is happening etc.

The problem starts when I connect my ethernet cable to my Bell router. After a delay ( 2 minutes to 1 hour), I can see the images of the 4 cameras getting black one by one, then, my home PC (wired) pops up a message saying that there is no internet access, then my Bell Fibe tv stop working, saying there is no connection to the router. ( interesting though, all the WiFi devices still work)

When that happens, I can see in my router that the NVR is connected when working, and get disconnected when the problem arises.

This is what I tried up to now:
Checked for firmware updates; NVR was already at the latest version
New cable
New Bell Fibe modem (they sent me an upgrade 2 months ago but I never installed it)
Tried to change the NVR port from 35000 to 10000 (from reading on internet)
Installed an unmanaged ethernet switch between the NVR and my router
I tried DHCP and Static IP address on the NVR
I ran Wireshark from my PC but don't see any abnormal traffic coming from my NVR
I resetted the NVR to its defaults many times.

I'm about to return the machine because the technical support from Lorex is a joke. They replied only once by email just saying to check if my cable was well inserted. I replied, but never got an answer.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to give as much details as possible in case someone has a hint of what could cause that.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: I just want to add that I see on internet many people talk about port forwarding in the router for a NVR. Do I need to set this up in the router? I think not, since I'm not connecting directly to the NVR, but to Lorex server that accesses the NVR.

Last edited:

katamara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Make sure you only have one device set as a DHCP server. The symptoms you describe is exactly what happened at my house when one of my kids plugged in a wireless router without turning off DHCP on that router.

Mike18250

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you mean I need to select 'Static' ip adresse?
I think I tried that.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Does it come with a manual? Take any poe switch out of line between the nvr. I'm assuming the nvr is a poe nvr and powering the cameras. Typically you go into the network menu and select dhcp. The ip field should populate with an ip address appropriate for your network. Once that's done, set the nvr back to static ip and SAVE that. Then reboot the nvr if it doesn't reboot itself. Check in that menu and make sure the ip address is still the same and its set to static ip. That should do it as far as resolving the network issues. As far as viewing the cameras anywhere else except on the local monitor attached to the nvr, that a different ball of wax. Get this sorted first.

Mike18250

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, I tested what you guys suggested, but without luck.

I think it may be hardware related, a defect.
The unit was OFF for 24 hours and cold.
When I turned ON the NVR, and did the changes suggested, it worked longer than before, maybe 20 minutes then it froze. I rebooted the unit, and the problem came sooner, like 1 minute, since it was already warm. The static setting and IP address were still there.

Sooo, I put everything back in the boxes and will go to Costco tomorrow night for a reimbursement.
I think I will try to order another one just in case this one was a fluke.
For the price ($700 Can. on sale) for a 4K NVR with 4- 2K IP cameras and 2TB HDD, I don't think I will find a similar unit elsewhere with those specs.

Just one note I would like to add.
While surfing on the net, people seemed to say that Lorex/Flix made good products, but their technical support was bad and it was like 5 hours to get someone on the phone.
Today I called, and to my surprise, someone answered right away!!
It's either because they made changes to the support group, or I was lucky, or because I selected 'French' and there were less French speaking people calling, but I was surprised. Unfortunately, he came to the conclusion that it was a defective machine and I should return it.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Good luck with the outcome. I think you'd be hard pressed to get any consensus here that your lorex system is any bargain. I mean, look at how well it did for you so far, lol. The best support is right here. You'd be wise to read a ton here before committing to another choice. You'll likely find the lorex from costco certainly isn't the best way to go. Get a refund and buy wisely next time.

Mike18250

n3wb
Reaction score
Shockwave, thanks for the heads up.
I know the Lorex is a 'consumer grade' system. I read a bit on the forum and I can see you guys are really into it.
I see that many like to setup their own system by picking cameras and NVR from different vendors, but I don't really have time to do that and the knowledge. I would like to find a complete system that has at least 4MP cameras and uses a NVR instead of a cloud.

I see many vendors selling systems with 720p cameras, but that is not enough resolution.

If you have some vendors that you can suggest me I would like to take a look at what they have.

Thank you.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm partial to dahua but there's other options too. The thing about the Costco stuff is that they package it all and give you a deal but everything in the package isn't really of any quality, including the cables which for all your effort installing the thing should be of good quality. I tend to think it was user error and not that you got a lemon with the first one, but who knows. You'd be best to buy from a trusted retailer who can actually offer you after purchase support. Take a shot with Costco if you must but 700 bucks is a lot of money to toss out on crap. Personally I'd put that money towards gear that will cost more but be more worth it. Good luck.