My stuff gets stolen from my porch. How to start?

Quardah

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello folks. This is my first post. I will be straight to the point because i need to get the job done ;).

I recently purchased my first house and i've already had packages stolen from my front porch while i was at my job. I must mitigate this, as my job heavily depends on receiving my items on time.

I am wondering where/how to start. I don't necessarily have a lot of cash, but i have skills in networking. My house only has a single entrance.

My room has a front-facing window, i was thinking of a single camera, installed inside looking outside. I'd like to check it from my job (i work on a computer), and have cellphone alerts if possible. Can't afford mobile video feed, data in Canada is too expensive.

What even can i do with saved video feed from a thief stealing my stuff?

My main objective is for my stuff not to get stolen. I am planning to install a receiver box for delivery, but that'll have to come later unfortunately. For now i need good ideas for deterrents and other strategies to have my stuff not stolen.

Automated lights when someone comes close? Sound queues? Video feed?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
JPBD

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello folks. This is my first post. I will be straight to the point because i need to get the job done ;).

I recently purchased my first house and i've already had packages stolen from my front porch while i was at my job. I must mitigate this, as my job heavily depends on receiving my items on time.

I am wondering where/how to start. I don't necessarily have a lot of cash, but i have skills in networking. My house only has a single entrance.

My room has a front-facing window, i was thinking of a single camera, installed inside looking outside. I'd like to check it from my job (i work on a computer), and have cellphone alerts if possible. Can't afford mobile video feed, data in Canada is too expensive.

What even can i do with saved video feed from a thief stealing my stuff?

My main objective is for my stuff not to get stolen. I am planning to install a receiver box for delivery, but that'll have to come later unfortunately. For now i need good ideas for deterrents and other strategies to have my stuff not stolen.

Automated lights when someone comes close? Sound queues? Video feed?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
JPBD
A camera won't stop it from happening, especially if the perp can't see the cam and it act as a deter-ant. Have parcels shipped to someplace like Post-Net or UPS Store, or neighbor that is home during the day.
Start here: Cliff notes.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
-------------------------------------
Cameras are not a real deterrent. They are used to define what happens and maybe who did it. Cameras will not prevent your packages from getting stolen.

I have three cameras covering my front door. One mounted at 5 ft point straight out, one looking down at the door and the base of the door. One mounted at 7ft up point back at the door from 20 ft out. My front door sits in an alcove, behind a closed gate.
-------------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Buy an active deterrence dahua camera with speaker that generates an audible alert when motion is detected. That should scare of most.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you get a mailbox that accepts parcels securely? IE the parcel can be inserted but then can't be accessed again? You can tax deduct ya mail box given it's business expense!!

No need for such high tech. :p

Quardah

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the lot of info.

I have been reading the Cliff Notes. So far i like what i am reading. Everything is very well explained.

I will have more time in the next weekend to investigate a little more. I think before making the move i will secure my network once and for all. New house, no time. But before making a move for cameras i'll make sure the network is secured.