My tailor made star trek style home automation

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys, recently I am having lots of fun building star trek style home automation. I just want to share with you this video showing how it's gonna work. I am a huge star trek fan, especially TNG, and I wanted to have voice commands to switch on and off lights, I also plan to have other automation stuff but due to lack of spare time it'll take some time.

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I set tight private policy and as far as I checked on youtube I cannot change this setting of displaying this video directly on other sites.
Solution - right click on the box and copy the URL to a new tab. I will re-upload the video with changed settings soon.

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was a bit tired after 9 hours in the office, few hours in the evening with two boys (4 years old and 2 years old) and wife :) and finally I had some time late night to push this project a bit forward :)

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well keep up the good work! Do you plan to do a write up on how you have gotten this far? Clearly looks way over my head. :) I tried dabbling in .net stuff many years ago, and it didn't work out so well.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Man, I could turn my bedroom light on and off with a voice command when I was in high school 15 years ago, without any programming or low level electronics work.

Fuck. 15 years ago. I'm getting old.

And to be fair, I'm sure your voice recognition is way more reliable than what Microsoft had in Windows XP.

Last edited:

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I have time I can write few words. Now I focus on finalizing it and attaching all lights inside and outside of house. Next I will add temperature sensors, humidity sensors, etc.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Man, I could turn my bedroom light on and off with a voice command when I was in high school 15 years ago, without any programming or low level electronics work.

And to be fair, I'm sure your voice recognition is way more reliable than what Microsoft had in Windows XP.
With ur smart phone? Must of been a badass treo back then!

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes it will be asked for a temperature via phone and I will try to achieve phone answering.

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Niiice, when I was 15 I just played Final Fantasy 7 on my playstation :) to be honest I am just an amature guy trying to have a bit of my sci-fi dreams from childhood :)
I have no idea how to achieve automating with voice commanding lights and other electrical devices in my house without programming and electronics :( that's why I used both of that.
Ideally I would like to enter for instance a bathroom and say "shower lights on" or "washbasin lights on", but for now I have to stick with my smartphone as a mobile microphone.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
but for now I have to stick with my smartphone as a mobile microphone.
You mean.. tricorder. ;)

Kudos to you... I'm just now starting to dabble into HA. Look forward to making home life, "easier".

Last edited:
Reactions: ypl