N3WB user, first night with first camera and Blue Iris. Questions about alerts.

rgonyer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm just getting started with Blue Iris. So far it seems pretty intuitive. Currently it's running on my main desktop PC, but once I get comfortable with the setup I'll move it to a dedicated PC.

I'm curious how the alerts work. I went through the view of the camera 4 times this morning, but only one was recognized as an alert.

Right at the beginning of the video I go outside to take the dogs out. The camera senses the motion, but I did not get an alert. When I returned inside to take the dogs back in around 2:15, I also did not get an alert. You can see the camera also detects the little chihuahua walking around on the drive, but no alert there either.

About 7:00 I go out to take the garbage out. This time I did get an alert. When I returned after taking the garbage out - no alert.

Before I start buying a few more cameras for around the house, I want to make sure I have a pretty good handle on the software. Any help appreciated :)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The video you posted is marked as private , it is not viewable.

What is the make and model of the camera.

Please watch

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 on the videos by @Dasstrum that @SouthernYankee pointed out.

You could start with the simple "Zones & Hotspot" method of BI's motion detection, fine tune it and if not happy with it or getting too many false alerts, opt for "Triggers: Object Detection".
Also, be advised BI's built-in Help files has a boat load of tips.

rgonyer

n3wb
Reaction score
+1 on the videos by @Dasstrum that @SouthernYankee pointed out.

You could start with the simple "Zones & Hotspot" method of BI's motion detection, fine tune it and if not happy with it or getting too many false alerts, opt for "Triggers: Object Detection".
Also, be advised BI's built-in Help files has a boat load of tips.
Ok great, sounds like I just need to spend some more timing reading through help files and watching those videos. Thanks! I just thought it was odd that it detected one event perfectly, but didn't detect other similar events. I'm sure I have a lot of tweaking to do :)