N3wb with questions

TLR

n3wb
Reaction score
First off, thanks for all the info that is shared here. I have been learning a lot over the last few months reading. But I am confused about POE injectors. Picked up some cameras from Andy, loaded BI on a spare computer and have them running on a test table. Have an 8 port POE Netgear switch I had form another application but need 3 more ports. Ultimately I will eventually replace with a 16 port POE switch but that may be a bit down the road. So I thought I would add a 4 port injector from wifi-texas or similar.

So when looking I find mode A / Mode B and different voltages. This one I am a bit lost. I am thinking this is the one I should get: WT-AT-4-48V60W

Has enough power for 4 cameras, is active so should autosense. But it is mode A. Are Dahua only mode A?

Thanks for any assistance.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I will eventually replace with a 16 port POE switch but that may be a bit down the road.
Have you considered buying a used PoE switch off eBay or similar?
There are loads of 24 port enterprise-level smart PoE switches for around 20GBP.
Though they do tend to be a big big and sometimes noisy.
That would be cheaper and much more capable than the injector you linked to.

TLR

n3wb
Reaction score
Though they do tend to be a big big and sometimes noisy.
Thanks for the response and idea. Yes did some quick looking. Big does not bother me but noisy will cause wife issues. Some of those fans spin up to sound like small jet engines and where this would go could be heard quite prominently in the living areas. That is why I thought the injector route as the netgear switch I have is fanless and keeps the peace. I do want to eventually figure out how to go with a smart switch as I am tied of climbing up to deal with issues to the top shelf where all this is located but that will be another day.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Big does not bother me but noisy will cause wife issues.
Yes indeed.
Some are fairly quiet - with the fans controlled based on internal temperature.
But still not the best idea for a living room.

I do want to eventually figure out how to go with a smart switch as I am tied of climbing up to deal with issues to the top shelf where all this is located
Not that it should be needed much - but a remote power cycle is a useful feature.

TLR

n3wb
Reaction score
IPCamPower. Never heard of them but it looks interesting. Way easier than the injector and they have a 16 port as well that gives you a 1G uplink ability. Thanks for the hint.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IPCamPower. Never heard of them but it looks interesting. Way easier than the injector and they have a 16 port as well that gives you a 1G uplink ability. Thanks for the hint.
@TLR

Also today ( "green monday" 12/10/2018 ) there is a sale on an 8 port POE switch from LaView

Laview PoE Switch-8 Channel - $41.24
Code "green25" for 25% off
Free shipping

PoE Switch-8 Channel
SKU LV-SW90