NAS question

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm trying to get my Hikvision cameras (attached to a NVR, itself attached to an ASUS router) to store their footage on a NAS hard disk attached to an ASUS AC-RT68U router. The cameras are asking for a server address and a file path. See image below for the fields and what I entered. I believe the NAS drive is mounted via SMB.

When I press Test, I get a message saying "Failed to connect to the server". Yet, the address I entered is the router's LAN address, the same one I use while at home or outside via OpenVPN.

Does anyone know what i did wrong?

-S

Hikvision Camera NAS.JPG

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the camera is connected directly to the NVR it is on a different subnet than the router. I do not think the NVR will pass the data to the router. Place the camera on a POE switch, so that both the NVR and the router see the camera.

Can you ping the camera from the router ?

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have not pinged the cameras, but I can remotely see their video streams from the outside (via OpenVPN). So it seems the NVR is passing their data to the router and beyond. I can also login directly to the cameras using their NVR-assigned addresses (192.168.1.x:6500y)

I'll try pinging the cameras (via a command window)

-S

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you sure you are see the camera directly or are you see the camera feed from the NVR. Is the NVR IP address 192.168.1.x. and the port number identifies which camera.

from your home can you access the camera via IP address without the port number in a browser. If not than your camera is not on your home local subnet and will not see your router.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can also login directly to the cameras using their NVR-assigned addresses (192.168.1.x:6500y)
This is the address that a Hikvision NVR provides for NVR PoE-connected cameras via Virtual Host.
By default, if the cameras were added to the NVR when the channel was in 'Plug&Play' mode, the cameras will not be able to send network traffic out to the LAN the router is on.

If you wish - there is a method that will enable the cameras to communicate normally to the LAN the router is on.
But whether the network share offered by the router is compatible with the camera Net HDD requirements is another matter ...

These changes will allow the cameras to communicate to the LAN.
The assumption is that the Hikvision NVR PoE interface IP address is using the default 192.168.254.1 IP address, and that the Hikvision NVR LAN interface IP address is 192.168.1.y
In the NVR Camera Configuration page of the web GUI, change the mode of a selected channel to Manual from Plug&Play.
Use the Virtual Host link to access the camera web GUI and in Network Configuration change its default gateway from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.254.1
In the router admin configuration, look for the section where 'static routes' can be added. Most routers, though not all, can do this.
Add a static route along the following lines :
"For network 192.168.254.0/24 (ie subnet mask 255.255.255.0) use the NVR LAN interface IP address 192.168.1.y as the gateway"

Then re-test the NetHDD connection.