NCL Uses Vivotek cameras

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just returned from a NCL cruise on their newest mega ship the Escape.
Cruise lines are using cameras more and more lately I assume to stave off negligence lawsuits for accidents or when someone pushes their spouse overboard and tries to claim they slipped!
I have been on several cruises on different lines and have never seen so many cameras on a boat before. They were literally everywhere. Especially pointing at stairs, pools, hot tubs, long hallways and outside balconies of course.

Does anyone know much about Vivotek cameras or quality firsthand? I'd have to assume they are pretty good for such a large corporate installation.

I was surprised to see, at least for the bullet camera, they were only 720P IP67 cameras. I could not see specific model info.

Attachments

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah...like staring right at you in the hottub..a little creepy.....none in my cabin...that I could see!

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone know if VIVOTEK is "their own" brand or a rebrand like a lot of the others?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Overpriced..but what about their quality? Any idea if they are any good?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Overpriced..but what about their quality? Any idea if they are any good?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
overpriced means that they cost way to much for the image quality they provide. You can do better with other cameras. The fact that an installer used them on a ship is meaningless.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah...like staring right at you in the hottub..a little creepy.....none in my cabin...that I could see!
Law prevents cameras in places where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy, so over a public hot tub is no problem but putting one in a private cabin would be trouble.