Need a recommendation

Jason Connors

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need a recommendation for a quality, reliable outdoor security camera. Requirements are: WiFi and wired options, records to NAS, night vision, motion detection, full HD, at least ip67 rating and viewable on IOS, Android and PC. Preferences include: ONVIF, MicroSD and PTZ.

I currently have two outdoor Sharx bullet cameras that suit my needs fairly well, but I'm exploring a PTZ for my front door. I'd been considering the Sumpple S610, but the comments on ipcamtalk make me believe I can do much, much better. Is the Foscam FI9928P any good?

Any suggestions are appreciated -- thanks!

Jason Connors

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Excellent -- thanks for replying so quickly. I'll definitely add the Dahua to the list. If you don't mind answering a follow-up question, what are three or four other brands to consider?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Excellent -- thanks for replying so quickly. I'll definitely add the Dahua to the list. If you don't mind answering a follow-up question, what are three or four other brands to consider?
Hi Jason,

None.

Seriously the Dahua PTZ Andy mentions is probably your best value option imho.

There are some really good threads on it, and sample videos - so please do take a closer look here to see what others are saying about that camera, and do feel free to check on Andy's reputation here - a number of us have enjoyed purchasing from him as he will give us members a slight discount and offers to quickly ship to us any products which are in stock.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Jason Connors

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the information. From what I've seen Dahua and Hikvision seem to be the most recommended brands. I'm trying to keep the cost less than $300.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the information. From what I've seen Dahua and Hikvision seem to be the most recommended brands. I'm trying to keep the cost less than $300.
Hi Jason,

You're just not going to be able to meet all of those specs at that price point ( including shipping ) at this time.

"at least IP67" costs more...
quality product costs more...

If you can skip the PTZ requirement you can meet the other specs and your price point.

Jason Connors

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You've given me a lot to think about and research -- much appreciated. If PTZ isn't reasonable, I'll strongly consider forgoing it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You've given me a lot to think about and research -- much appreciated. If PTZ isn't reasonable, I'll strongly consider forgoing it.
Hi Jason,

Do take a look at the notes we've compiled. I know there's a lot to it, and there is a bit of a learning curve to this. The notes I made reflect a lot of the learning I have been doing here as someone new to this field.

If you are in a hurry to find something - look at the Dahua starlight varifocal turret ( IPC-HDW5231.. )

If you have more time look at your functional requirements...

example:

Security Camera System Minimal Viable Product requirements:
  • 1) It must be Reliable.
  • 2) It must be able to capture good enough images to potentially ID suspects.
  • 3) It must be useful for evidence. [ thus date and time stamps are critical ]

What does this mean in practical terms?
Wired systems with local storage will be the most reliable. While some maybe able to get wifi cameras to work well enough it requires a significant investment in building and maintaining a quality wifi network, which most people are unwilling to learn and spend the resources to do. Wifi is also subject to interference ( common ) and even possible jamming ( less common ).
Quality cameras are required. 1080p+ The best way to determine if a camera is good is to test it and compare it to others. Megapixels is only one factor to look at, and does not in itself determine the quality of the image. That said, your search should avoid 720p and poorer spec'ed cameras, they tend to be the cheaper cameras and provide poorer results. Test both day time and night time.
Few consumer marketed cameras have date and time stamps. This is critical if you plan to use your video images for evidence.
[ good wired camera = In general either PoE ( Power over Ethernet ) using cat5e/cat6 cable for digital, OR coax wire with power wires and BNC connectors for analog based systems. ]

Common mistakes:
  • Too few cameras installed. Plan for at least 6-8 cameras. Have 2+ cameras covering the approach to and including the front door area.
  • Cameras mounted too high. Mount cameras < 8 feet high to get a good angle for potential ID purposes.
  • Poor quality, resolution, and wide angle cameras resulting in short ID distances.
  • Over estimating the quality of motion detection and video snap shots and thus no recording full time ( 24/7 )
  • Over estimating the reliability of wire free and wifi cameras, as well as cloud connectivity.
  • Placing cameras indoors behind windows looking out. Window glass typically will reflect IR signals, thus rendering PIR motion detection and IR base night vision nearly useless.
  • Installing dome cameras outdoors. Dome cameras have more glare and IR reflection issues as well as over the long term direct UV exposure will decay the plastic dome. Turret / Eye ball form factor cameras are often better options.
  • Over valuing MP / Megapixels comparing systems. There is a lot more to a security camera in obtaining quality images than MPs. The sensor model and size matter, as does the f stop, lens quality, software / firmware. It gets complex.
  • Installing cameras without bench testing before.

What do you want to accomplish with a security camera system?
  • Is the day time more of a threat? or night time? If night time look at the starlight models referenced here, if day time the 4K cameras work well. If a combination get both starlights and consider good 4K cameras.
  • See what happened?
  • Potentially ID suspects? Locate cameras less than 8 feet high and close enough to get a potential ID'able facial image. ( please see the ID distance list )
  • Help deter criminal activities? Mount your cameras in obvious locations.
  • Keep an eye on your car parked in your drive way? in the street?
  • Potentially ID cars which suspects maybe using?
  • Watch of other activities, wild animals, your dogs, your cats, birds,..
  • License plate captures? For successful license plate captures you may need to dedicate a camera to it as it requires camera tuning adjustments which makes the overall picture darker.
  • While you are thinking about these issues, you will need to look at potential camera installation locations and measure the distance to the potential suspect and determine if you are within the ID distance. You may need a camera with a better "zoom".

Jason Connors

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is great. Thanks for all of the advice. I don't need it soon, so I have plenty of time to put some thought into it.

Jason Connors

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward the Dahua. I paid $320 each for two Sharx SCNC3905 cameras, and the Dahua isn't that much more. Also -- I brew my own coffee. If I want to offset the expense, I'll have to drink mass-produced beer instead of micro-brews.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't be talking crazy talk now. Consider brewing your own.
My thoughts exactly! Think of all the money he could save! It's like getting paid to drink beer....nirvana! :winktongue:

Regarding savings, my ex-wife (note the 'ex') needed a jacket, our budget was slim at the time, she wasn't working so she asked for some money for one which I gave to her. She came back a couple of hours later really proud, claiming she had saved a bundle, as the jackets were 1/2 price that day.
Instead of buying the one she needed/wanted and pocketing the savings she bought two, a red one AND a blue one, stating she had saved $100 because of the sale. I told her "Damn, I wish I had given you $100K, we'd be millionaires by now". Needless to say, she showed me her middle finger. Did I say she was my ex? :screwy:

Jason Connors

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My plan is Blue Moon and Shiner to save my marriage. After 19 years, that's a lot cheaper than divorce. As for the SD49225T-HN, it's much more affordable than I expected. I can probably just skip the orange slice with the Blue Moon if I really want to watch every penny.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I can see how bad homebrew can wreck a marriage. Blue Moon and Shiner can save one? Must be good stuff...

MarkFrTX

n3wb
Reaction score
So many cameras, so many posts, not enough coffee to sit up and read through all the great info.

I apologize for another post asking for a recommendation, but I have spent hours combing through the forum and now have information overload. I'd like to go with Dahua or Hikvision as they seem to be forum favorites. But would consider others if the forum feels strongly about it.

Camera will be placed outside on or above the fence next to my entry gate (on pole is an option). I have 12v power at gate, but running cat 5e/6 is too costly to consider. I'm in a rural area with minimal wireless interference.

Based on my current knowledge I want a camera that meets the following...
  • Wifi, I have strong signal across open ground to access point.
  • Outdoor with good tolerance for heat (in Texas)
  • Good response in low light, area is lit but not overly bright.
  • Turret preferable
  • audio in/out big plus
  • dork color, nice to have (to blend in, as I'm guessing painting housing voids warranty)
  • No PT, maybe Z
  • Would like to be able to identify from ~10 ft away.
Thanks for answering this!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So many cameras, so many posts, not enough coffee to sit up and read through all the great info.

I apologize for another post asking for a recommendation, but I have spent hours combing through the forum and now have information overload. I'd like to go with Dahua or Hikvision as they seem to be forum favorites. But would consider others if the forum feels strongly about it.

Camera will be placed outside on or above the fence next to my entry gate (on pole is an option). I have 12v power at gate, but running cat 5e/6 is too costly to consider. I'm in a rural area with minimal wireless interference.

Based on my current knowledge I want a camera that meets the following...
  • Wifi, I have strong signal across open ground to access point.
  • Outdoor with good tolerance for heat (in Texas)
  • Good response in low light, area is lit but not overly bright.
  • Turret preferable
  • audio in/out big plus
  • dork color, nice to have (to blend in, as I'm guessing painting housing voids warranty)
  • No PT, maybe Z
  • Would like to be able to identify from ~10 ft away.
Thanks for answering this!
Hi Mark

Perhaps a Dahua starlight turret as a part of a smaller version of this would work best:
Wireless Camera Pole Install

MarkFrTX

n3wb
Reaction score
I saw that thread earlier, gave me some good ideas, but I’ll keep it much simpler. Just which camera.