Need a recommnedation for an HD wifi outdoor IP cam with two-way audio for front door

Reaction score
As the title says, I've scoured the web looking for the right solution to my problem. I can get power to a camera but running any kind of LAN cable is out of the question. The camera has to be wifi capable. It also has to be onvif compatible to work with my QNAP Surveillance Station Pro, which is already handling a non-audio wifi HD camera quite nicely. I would think there's a huge market for HD IP cameras for front door use, but I can't find one among the hundreds I've examined. Help is appreciated.

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Getting a camera that meets your needs may prove difficult. Almost every single out door rated camera that supports audio does not have a built in mic and speaker. Some have the mics built in but you need to supply and power your own speaker. The hikvision DS-2CD2532-I(S)(W) has a built in mic but you need to add the speaker. It is also wifi. Note that to get audio and wifi you MUST order the SW version, meaning you need to specify audio and wireless. Now even this will not necessarily work with qnap...even though its onvif, the audio talk function will probably not work. Another option if your front door is protected by an overhang you can use the DS-2CD2432F-I(W) http://www.hikvision.com/en/products_show.asp?id=9441 its an INDOOR cube but it can sustain outdoor temps to -22f. Just needs to be protected from rain, this has a built in mic and speaker and even a pir sensor. I believe @dalepa has this mounted outside and has a post somewhere here with the footage. Again i do not know whether the talk function will work with qnap.

Finally have you considered using non wireless camera with a powerline adapter? Also, while you may not be able to run cable to that location, it is very likely that a professional could. You might want to look into hiring someone just to run the cable. You would be surprised at how well and neat these guys can run cable. Would probably cost you 100-150, but you would have a solid connection and be able to use many more cameras. Wifi is always a hassle. Particularly with HD cameras and audio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thanks

I appreciate the suggestions. I'm thinking mic'd surveillance at a minimum would be acceptable, as opposed to two-way. QNAP seems to be able to handle audio in fine. I like the idea of a sealed dome as opposed to a camera designed for inside use. Although I live in BC and winter seldom gets down below -10 C where I'm located.

I thought about running cable, but it's an aesthetic thing as well as cost. I have a solid and powerful wifi signal that seems to be working well with one camera. I only need one more to really cover the access points.

I'll look into your suggestions. Thanks.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Keep in mind, you do not need a camera with a built in mic, and even sometimes, it's better to have an external mic closer to where you want to hear. Usually, for my customers that request nanny cams with audio, I install a standard camera and an external mic close to where the nanny sits with the baby. Than, just make sure your dvr has audio input as well.

Reaction score
Thanks

Keep in mind, you do not need a camera with a built in mic, and even sometimes, it's better to have an external mic closer to where you want to hear. Usually, for my customers that request nanny cams with audio, I install a standard camera and an external mic close to where the nanny sits with the baby. Than, just make sure your dvr has audio input as well.
I'm looking for an exterior (outdoor) application. A built-in mic that picks up voices at the door is what I'm interested in.

Thanks.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think maybe you misunderstood me? You can use any outdoor camera of your choice and an external mic. I'm just letting you know that your not limited to just a camera with a built in mic when
you are searching for what you want.

Reaction score
Thanks

I think maybe you misunderstood me? You can use any outdoor camera of your choice and an external mic. I'm just letting you know that your not limited to just a camera with a built in mic when
you are searching for what you want.
I appreciate the advice. I don't think I need to place camera and mic separately in the confined area of the exterior front entrance. A separate mic could be a way to go but I'm hoping to find something with a decent mic built in so I don't have to wire it separately.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Neat gadget, would be easy enough to have that little mic stick out a mounting box.
But I had to read this bit three times, and I'm still not quite sure:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Connect Method:
Red line DC head-to-core power ''+'' very, outside to power ''-'' extremely.
The first white RCA recording devices connected to the audio input or audio amplifier input.

[/FONT]

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.