Need a sanity check on network options

murf51

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been working with Andy on getting my equipment for my system and would like some input on my set up. I just converted an old 2 story house in to commercial space. I prewired everything for both network and cameras before closing everything back up. Basically i have 8 rooms/offices conference rooms etc.

I created two network closets 1 on the first floor, and one on the 2nd. I have a 24 port netgear poe switches in each closet for all my offices and conference space (no problems there). I also created some tie lines between each closet because i wasn't sure how I was ultimately going to set stuff up. All the cameras lines come in to my first floor closet in to a separate patch panel. My plan was to have my nvr in the first floor closet. My plan was to keep everything separate from my data network.

I occupy an office on the second floor and find myself wanting to hook the NVR up to the tv in my office. I had 2 thoughts:

First thought-move the NVR to my office (2nd floor) where I can just use the hdmi cable direct to my tv. In order to do this I was thinking I need another POE switch (in my 1st floor closet) where I would plug all the cameras in to, and then use my tie lines to plug a single cable in to the nvr from that switch. I am not positive, but I am pretty sure this could work as the NVR assigns the IP addresses correct? I shouldn't need each single camera to be plugged directly into the NRV?

I only have 14 cameras so I would just plug them in the POE switch and then use another port to tie in to the NVR on the second floor.

Second thought-I keep everything in my first floor closet, plug the cameras directly in to the nvr, but to get output and control to my tv on the second floor I can use HDMI and USB over Ethernet. Something like this . Has anyone used these with success?

Does anyone have any other ideas, I may be over complicating it. BI us not an option for me at this point so trying to use what I have spent my money on at this point. My first option seems more complicated but probably the easiest in my mind.

Any thoughts?

thanks in advance

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.