Need advice for a new BI server

StewartJ

n3wb
Reaction score
We have a BI server using a Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 v5. There are 12 HD cameras connected to it (6 Mobotix D14/D15s, 2 Mobotix Q's, and a smattering of Vivotek 1MP and 2MP cameras) and running maxed out. With the interface up it's pegged at 100% and watching recordings are choppy. With the interface down it's around 75%. We are looking to upgrade all of the 1MP Vivotek cameras to 2MP (undetermined brand) (720->1080) and adding 6 Hikvision DS-2CD4A2dFWD-IZH LPR cameras. Recording is offloaded to a NAS.

What CPU/RAM requirements am I looking at needing?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We have a BI server using a Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 v5. There are 12 HD cameras connected to it (6 Mobotix D14/D15s, 2 Mobotix Q's, and a smattering of Vivotek 1MP and 2MP cameras) and running maxed out. With the interface up it's pegged at 100% and watching recordings are choppy. With the interface down it's around 75%. We are looking to upgrade all of the 1MP Vivotek cameras to 2MP (undetermined brand) (720->1080) and adding 6 Hikvision DS-2CD4A2dFWD-IZH LPR cameras. Recording is offloaded to a NAS.

What CPU/RAM requirements am I looking at needing?
that processor is way more than sufficient. You have not properly setup blue iris. See the wiki and enable direct to disk and hardware acceleration for each camera. You should be at about 10-15 percent usage with your load.

StewartJ

n3wb
Reaction score
It's been a while since I went through the optimization but I've done everything except switch to direct-to-disk. I remember trying that but can't remember the issues it created. I think there were gaps in the video or they couldn't be played or something. I'll set it on 3 cameras that aren't heavily relied on for recordings so I'll see to it again and figure it out. So, you're saying the specs I have should be able to handle 20 cameras of 2MP-5MP? How much buffer should I need since the recordings are started on the iframe? I have 10 seconds now. Should I increase it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I went through the optimization but I've done everything except switch to direct-to-disk. I remember trying that but can't remember the issues it created. I think there were gaps in the video or they couldn't be played or something. I'll set it on 3 cameras that aren't heavily relied on for recordings so I'll see to it again and figure it out. So, you're saying the specs I have should be able to handle 20 cameras of 2MP-5MP? How much buffer should I need since the recordings are started on the iframe? I have 10 seconds now. Should I increase it?
direct to disk is the biggest part...not even sure if HA works when direct to disk is not enabled...its a must.
2-5 is a huge range....its the total megapixels and frame rates that matter...
set the iframe interval to match your fps. Then use 3 seconds of pre-record.
direct to disk works perfectly...
also ensure you are running a recent release of the software.

StewartJ

n3wb
Reaction score
We're using version 4 so it's current. Hardware Acceleration must work without Direct to Disk enabled as it had a large affect when I enabled it on CPU cycles. The overview cameras are 1MP@15fps. Those we want to upgrade to 2MP@15fps. The license cameras and facial cameras are 2-3MP@30fps. The Mobotix D14/D15 cameras are 3-5MP (each lens) dual lens so they have larger MP settings, although I don't remember exactly at the moment, at 15fps. I have the pre-record up at 10 seconds because lower settings were causing us to lose recordings as they weren't triggering fast enough. Cars would be halfway through the frame when the recording started. At 10 seconds it's capturing everything.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We're using version 4 so it's current. Hardware Acceleration must work without Direct to Disk enabled as it had a large affect when I enabled it on CPU cycles. The overview cameras are 1MP@15fps. Those we want to upgrade to 2MP@15fps. The license cameras and facial cameras are 2-3MP@30fps. The Mobotix D14/D15 cameras are 3-5MP (each lens) dual lens so they have larger MP settings, although I don't remember exactly at the moment, at 15fps. I have the pre-record up at 10 seconds because lower settings were causing us to lose recordings as they weren't triggering fast enough. Cars would be halfway through the frame when the recording started. At 10 seconds it's capturing everything.
Version 4 is meaningless... there are 3 years of updates.. what exact version...you don't need 10 seconds unless you improperly setup cams iframe or bi motion detection....you must use direct to disc...it works perfectly.