Need advice on a good OUTDOOR NIGHT View Camera

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forums, so hi to everyone.

I need some advice on buying an IP Camera for use mainly at NIGHT and OUTDOOR.

I bought this camera a while ago: http://www.ebuyer.com/640691-trendnet-outdoor-3mp-full-hd-poe-dome-day-night-network-ip-camera-tv-ip311pi and the picture quality is amazing during the day, but when at night (in night IR mode) it is utterly hopeless.

The picture at night is dark and has reflection spots from the IR lights which look like rain bubbles on the outside. The lens is clean as the daytime picture is fine.

Can anyone advise of a good outdoor ip camera which works well at night (20-30m range in darkness) without the problems of the Trendnet one mentioned above?
Must be 3MP or higher, fixed or variable is ok.

Thanks,

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Check out Hikvision mini bullet DS-2CD2032 or turret DS-2CD2332 cameras. If you still require more light you should consider using an external IR illuminator.

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the info, I looked at the 2332 but is ok to use outdoors? Without a dome cover won't it suffer in the cold and rain?

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, last question, price..... on ebay these are £69 (but they are sent from China). If I buy here in the UK, retailors are asking for £120+

Are the China ones likely to be fake? Also, the ebay sellers say to only update the firmware from them and not from hikvision and ask to specify which lens to go for 2.8mm, 4mm or 6mm? Any suggestions on which lens to go for?

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Personally speaking (and not giving any advice, just saying what I'd do) .. I'd buy from the trusted seller Julia at CCTV Camera China through their store on alibaba, for about £62 with free delivery to the UK

As to the lens option.... you have to work out what angle of view you need and go from there.

The 4mm lens has an angle of view of 75.8°

Last edited by a moderator:

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I will contact Julia.

Appreciate all your quick replies guys.

Any import taxes from China do you know? Do you have a direct link to Julia on Alibaba I can't find there store on alibaba?

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, ordered the 2332, I prefer the look of its as its similar to a dome look.

Great forum, thanks all, I'll report back when its here and installed.

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
it should be compatible, but there are sometimes issues with motion detection...now if you are just going to record 24/7 as indicated it would not matter, however, its best to stock with a hikvision NVR..I would say, first get the camera, see if you like it, then choose the nvr

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would thoroughly recommend the Hikvision from the same seller as the camera, but the fan is not 'quiet' so look into replacing it (peeps have done it and posted about it on the internetty)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you get the models without poe built in, then it should be quieter..but i havent tested this..

gm85

n3wb
Reaction score
I was taking a look at the specs of that TRENDNet camera you posted. I'm 90% sure it's a rebranded Hikvision DS-2CD2132, which is their entry-level dome camera and has the issues you mentioned such as the IR bleed.

The 2332 that you purchased should be a very good camera. The quality of the Turret 2332 (and Dome 2732) are a lot better than the 2132.

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks to your advice, I also ordered a Hikvision 7604 4-channel NVR from them. Got stung for £16 import taxes :-(
It arrived yesterday, however the fan on it is quite noisy (this is even without the Hard drive fitted).

Anyone else got one of these and confirm the fan noise level?
Should I complain to the seller about this? Can the fan be swapped out for a silent one?

P.S. The Turret camera you guys recommended is awesome, the difference in night viewing is astonishing between this and the trendnet junk.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone else got one of these and confirm the fan noise level?
Should I complain to the seller about this? Can the fan be swapped out for a silent one?
I have a 7804 and a 7608, yes they not silent... (the 76 is bettter than the 78) so depending on where the nvr is going to live, replacing the fan with one that has lesser db is an option that others have done and isn't hard (your mileage may vary, lol)

But being lazy, as it only needs lan and power connections and not being on view, my cure was locating the nvr out of the way :D

Got stung for £16
Good result, could of been worse.

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Dave.

Does the fan stay on at a consistent speed or is it louder when writing to the Hard/drive 24/7?

Can anyone recommend a near-silent replacement fan for the 7604?

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone put one of these in the Hikvision 7604 NVR:

Noctua NF-A4x10

If so, does this help dampen the noise?