Need advice on how to feed wires to NVR.

Dee Dee

n3wb
Reaction score
i need help feeding my cat6 wires from the side of the house (RV access)..

whats the best approach in doing this?

1: should i just drill from the outside and use a fishing tool or some long object to push up the cat6?

or 2: crawl from the attic going down and drill/get the wires from outside?

what concerns me is i am not sure if i can even fit or there is a space for a person once i am in the attic..

added some pics of the inside ceiling as i have no idea how houses are built hence not sure about space up there..

Thanks all in advance..

PS: forgive my drawing skills in snipping tools :D

Attachments

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Vaulted ceilings are generally more difficult, exactly how the trusses are framed will vary. It will require a combination of things in the attic and things from the outside, a helper and some walkie talkies makes it go better. Sometimes it's easier to fish a pull string first. Harbor freight is the cheapest place for some of these: 3/16 in. x 11 Ft. Fiberglass Wire Running Kit
the ones at home depot and lowes are glow in the dark. I would feed these in from the outside first.

Dee Dee

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the link, that is what i am exactly looking for..

i guess I will find out once i remove the yellow foam like insulation in the ceiling (not sure what its called) but looking at it space is getting smaller till it reach all the way down so i'm thinking fishing from the outside is a better way..

less scary too lol.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for the link, that is what i am exactly looking for..

i guess I will find out once i remove the yellow foam like insulation in the ceiling (not sure what its called) but looking at it space is getting smaller till it reach all the way down so i'm thinking fishing from the outside is a better way..

less scary too lol.
The most common types of insulation you might encounter are: Fiberglass batt, Blown in fiberglass, blown in cellulose, rock wool, spray foam. Most spray foam is pretty hard when it cures, 'removing' it is not a simple task.

Dee Dee

n3wb
Reaction score
insulation is fiberglass batt after google searching it. Thanks.

vette-kid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Use the hf kit from the outside. You should be able to push it pretty far so you will not have to crawl into the corner.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
when it comes to pulling wires, make sure you're on the right side of obstructions the first time. It's annoying to have to pull a bunch of wire back to undo something you already did.

The fiberglass rods come in different lengths, I'd probably choose the longer one.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just a note about running network cables. Be sure to keep them away from power cables. If the network cables must run parallel to the power cables they should be at least 12" away. If the network cables need to cross over/under power cables they should do so at a 90 degree angle. So basically try to keep network and power cables away from each other as much as possible.

The power cables can cause interference on the network cables, this is fairly rare for it to actually occur but when it does it is very difficult to track down the problem without expensive specialized cable testers, so best to avoid the possibility in the first place.