Need advice please, Lorex 8CH 4K HD NVR 6 Bullet Camera Security System

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Long time member, been MIA for a while. Still running my 2 Blue Iris systems with 9 cams each on my computers for my home and business. Still running on old BI and haven't even bothered to upgrade. It just keeps working!!!! Praise to HIK and Blue Iris...

For my business, I'm adding 16 cameras. Best solution i've come across so far is Costco $750 for Costco item number 1163871
Lorex 8CH 4K HD NVR 6 Bullet Camera Security System (Lorex number 4KHDIP86)

and i'd get two of them. I need the high resolution for spotting scratches & damage in cars before/after my full service car wash tunnel. So, before i dump $1500 and a $60 costco membership, I wanted to get the advice of people who are more familiar with it than myself.

Any advice and experience related input appreciated. Thank you in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Long time member, been MIA for a while. Still running my 2 Blue Iris systems with 9 cams each on my computers for my home and business. Still running on old BI and haven't even bothered to upgrade. It just keeps working!!!! Praise to HIK and Blue Iris...

For my business, I'm adding 16 cameras. Best solution i've come across so far is Costco $750 for Costco item number 1163871

and i'd get two of them. I need the high resolution for spotting scratches & damage in cars before/after my full service car wash tunnel. So, before i dump $1500 and a $60 costco membership, I wanted to get the advice of people who are more familiar with it than myself.

The system and costco membership are fully refundable at any time...you have nothing to lose except time.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Kenjusticejr,

Note - those kits only hold one HDD in the NVR, for your application you may want to look closer at your storage requirements.

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi Kenjusticejr,

Note - those kits only hold one HDD in the NVR, for your application you may want to look closer at your storage requirements.
The system and costco membership are fully refundable at any time...you have nothing to lose except time.
Thanks guys, I've been out of the cam game for a few years and just wanted to make sure that Lorex wasn't dollar store trash before I purchased it. There are dozens of guys who put this system in and swear it is the best thing since sliced bread, but they are business guys, not tech guys, so I definitely feel better asking in this forum. If anyone else is interested, Costco bumped them back to regular price of $799, and the costco membership is $60, so the regular price on Amazon of $850 is comparable. Hopefully i don't end up back on here begging for help trying to get the system running, lol. Thanks again.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I've been out of the cam game for a few years and just wanted to make sure that Lorex wasn't dollar store trash before I purchased it. There are dozens of guys who put this system in and swear it is the best thing since sliced bread, but they are business guys, not tech guys, so I definitely feel better asking in this forum. If anyone else is interested, Costco bumped them back to regular price of $799, and the costco membership is $60, so the regular price on Amazon of $850 is comparable. Hopefully i don't end up back on here begging for help trying to get the system running, lol. Thanks again.
Hi Kenjusticejr,

Some data for your consideration:

Costco lowest price on those kits were $650 ... Amazon seller probably picked up a bunch at that deal point w/CC rewards and is flipping it.
Lorex uses the Dahua OEM firmware for these, however strips the IVS functionality and strips ONVIF on the cameras

LeChange from Fry's they've had a deal recently there for $899.99 for a 16 port NVR kit, 2 more cameras - better Dahua OEM cameras ( LeChange = Dahua brand btw )
FYI - LeChange / Dahua 8x 8MP/4K UHD IP PoE cameras + 16 channel port PoE NVR 2/3TB HDD $899 7/13/18

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep -that Lorex number in the first post is actually just the camera itself. That Lechange kit mat posted is an excellent price or a kit directly from Lorex is also an option (they always have 15% off). If directly from Lorex look for a kit with the Lorex NR9163 NVR, that specific one is a very nice Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2 OEM NVR which also has the upgraded face with controls, a remote control, and a 3TB WD Purple hard drive with a space for a second hard drive. On the Lechange kit I think a few are still very currently working to make 100% sure of exactly which model Dahua OEM NVR is in that kit but it is either a NVR4216 or NVR5215, either are very good and either will take a second hard drive no problem.

scottc1

n3wb
Reaction score

Hey Ken,

I just bought a lorex 4k NVR system with 8 dome audio cameras. I am fairly new to all of this ip camera setup but so far I'm very impressed. I have seen a lot of heat against lorex and not sure why. Yes the user interface isn't like interacting with the latest smartphone but honestly, I am going to spend about 10% of my time in the system compared to any other electronics. The lorex system does everything my arlo system was doing plus I'm avoiding the yearly fees that some cloud based systems charge. I just need to finish running wires throughout the house in order to get all 8 cameras up and running. So far I have gone through the setup and scheduling of 1 camera and i believe it will be more than expected when it comes to a security system.

I called in directly to lorex ti create my own bundle and they gave me a really good price. I can reccomend you the agent I dealt with if you'd like.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk