Need advice please.

Chito

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!

I am trying to set up a city wide cctv system with the farthest camera at 7km away. I will be using a 4MP bullet ip cam on this location. And within 3km range i will be putting 6 units 4MP PTZ cameras.

I would like to ask for an advice on to what hardware (camera brand and model/NVR/AP wifi on base/wifi bridge) to use. Everything is wireless.

Thank you very much.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't use 4mp. A 2mp Dahua starlight is more than sufficient. Will do much better at night, with less bandwidth consumed.
Don't use bullets, use turret style.
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
If you don't need audio, then this: Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

Several PTZ's to choose from here: Dahua Technology - Leading Video Surveillance Solution Provider with CCTV Produc
Order from our friend @EMPIRETECANDY at: EmpireTech Andy
Ubiquity Nano stations equipment is recommended for the wireless part. See their website.

Chito

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you very much @looney2ns . what is the reason for using a 2mp instead of 4mp? when and where is the 4mp best suited?

Again thank you very much.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you very much @looney2ns . what is the reason for using a 2mp instead of 4mp? when and where is the 4mp best suited?

Again thank you very much.
Hi @Chito

There's a lot more to this than just MegaPixels, a lot more - and thus why the recommendation for some particular cameras which just happen to be 2MP cameras. ( it's not that 2MP happens to be some sort of magic number )

Do look at the cliff notes, lots of good information has been collected and shared there.

Also do take a lot at the numerous reviews posted here by members.

Last edited: