Need an outdoor wireless camera for watching owls and their babies

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
We have owls nesting in a tree just outside in our backyard. I'd like to purchase a wireless camera that has a decent optical zoom so we can watch them. Does Dahua offer anything like this. I only mention Dahua since all my other cameras are Dahua. Thanks!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say to check with Andy for that. He may have something. Remember that any camera can be a wireless camera if it's attached to a dedicated RF link system like a Ubuiquity Nano Station Loco M5. If you have power for a wireless camera you have power for a real camera and a RF link.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'd say to check with Andy for that. He may have something. Remember that any camera can be a wireless camera if it's attached to a dedicated RF link system like a Ubuiquity Nano Station Loco M5. If you have power for a wireless camera you have power for a real camera and a RF link.
Thanks, yes I have emailed Andy. We'll see what he has.
I use all Ubiquiti gear, I'm familiar with the Ubiquiti Nano Station Loco M5 and how it works. Need to read up!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It shows as PoE on the data sheet you linked to. My complaint about that camera is that it's only a 12mm, which you cn get in a varifocal for less money, and it's 4MP on a 1/2.8" sensor. That sort of limits its' night vision. If it were 2MP it would be great though.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It shows as PoE on the data sheet you linked to. My complaint about that camera is that it's only a 12mm, which you cn get in a varifocal for less money, and it's 4MP on a 1/2.8" sensor. That sort of limits its' night vision. If it were 2MP it would be great though.
Weird, wonder why he told me that? I'd like to get something as soon as possible. I'm going to search on Amazon.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but the JideTech, JiveTech, PTZs seem OK for an off brand. Check with @Flintstone61 about them before proceeding though.

wanted to make a thread like this yesterday but didn't. I know wireless and solar powered off brand cameras are not the favorite here... but hear me out. (I already have normal POE dahua turrets installed.

looking for a wireless (solar) option for a carport with no access to running wires. tried the blink today, and while it worked fine on small test step stool, it didnt work when mounted under the eves.

How well do these JideTech, JiveTech units work? I was also looking at this.. but mostly probably paid reviews.... ()

This cam wont need IR, as its lit up already. Im not looking for the best quality, just want to be notified with motion around the area.
Anything else u guys would recommend. Any reviews of the jive and jide tech?

@Flintstone61 -- anything u can add?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The camera I bought has good Optics, and great zoom and focus, but horrible User pages,
but no experience with trying a Solar powered Cam.
The Amazon reviews talk smack about the App, being less than perfect, YMMV.
it's cheap to try. If it works share your wisdom with the group,
maybe it's a hidden Gem....
You'd have to make enough juice during the day to A. continously power the cam,
and B. create a 10 hour reserve for night time.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
The camera I bought has good Optics, and great zoom and focus, but horrible User pages,
but no experience with trying a Solar powered Cam.
The Amazon reviews talk smack about the App, being less than perfect, YMMV.
it's cheap to try. If it works share your wisdom with the group,
maybe it's a hidden Gem....
You'd have to make enough juice during the day to A. continously power the cam,
and B. create a 10 hour reserve for night time.
which cam did you buy? im was looking at solar, and most of those cams wont record 24/7 which i am ok with. motion clips will be fine, as i know the limitation of cameras thats are wifi, battery, and solar.

i am in California, have 90 % Sun everyday. even in the winter

u got any video clips?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I know Shorestation Boat lifts can have a Solar panel( or 2) with 2 Diehards( car battery's) installed. they're great for remote lakes.
So if they are collecting enough energy and the storage was calculated right. you might get 99 percent up time.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
couple years ago I bought the Jivetech, if thats what you mean. 1 dome for the lobby ( still tickin) and one PTZ (for God knows what). Won't buy again. because there are better user interfaces on the Dahua, and their OEM's.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
couple years ago I bought the Jivetech, if thats what you mean. 1 dome for the lobby ( still tickin) and one PTZ (for God knows what). Won't buy again. because there are better user interfaces on the Dahua, and their OEM's.
dont think dahua or other oems make a simple battery powered wifi camera, with the option to top off the power with solar. not looking for 24/7 recording, as none of them can do that with the built in battery and solar. I am fine with motions clips